| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian War Chant (Tu-hu-wa-hu-wai) Lyrics?
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 6:06 am    

Hello there!

I have been searching EVERYWHERE for the lyrics to Tu-Hu-Wa-Hu-Wai, but can't seem to find them. I want them in whatever polynesian language they're in (I'm not sure what that is, since Hawaiian has no "T" sound).

If anyone has them, and can email them to me, I would be most appreciative! English is OK too.

Thank you!
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (Amaj9, E13, C6) or 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6) through an old Super Reverb or Deluxe; Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G)

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 6:54 am    

Todd, the Ray Charles Singers have a recording of this on vinyl 33&1/3. It's a very good one too,__lyrics in English.

Rick
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 7:15 am    

The version by Spike Jones is the standard against which all others are judged.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 8:40 am    

Hey!

Thanks for those recommendations. I was hoping to find someone here at the forum who might actually have a copy of the words written down somewhere that they could forward to me via email, though.

I have a recording already from which I can transcribe the lyrics, but I don't want to just "fudge" the lyrics by transcribing them incorrectly. Nonetheless, I still appreciate the help!

Thanks again,
TJW
Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 8:52 am    

Todd, check your email. I sent the Hawaiian and English lyrics. I tried to memorize the tune once but I could never get past the first two lines :^)

Here's the first verse of the English version (I think this constitutes fair use and doesn't violate any copyright):

There's a sunny little funny little melody
That was started by a native down in Waikiki
He would gather a crowd down beside the sea
And they'd play his gay Hawaiian chant

They don't write ditties like that anymore.

[This message was edited by Gary Anwyl on 29 May 2002 at 09:57 AM.]

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 9:21 am    

quote:
There's a sunny little funny little melody
That was started by a native down in Waikiki
He would gather a crowd down beside the sea
And they'd play his gay Hawaiian chant

My goodness! They sure DON'T write 'em like that anymore

Thanks, Gary. Got it, and it's just what I needed. I have my first SOLO Hawaiian (plus oldies, standards, foxtrots, etc..) gig coming up on the 15th of June, the day after a trip to San Francisco, and I have to put together all of this before I leave. The people at this Elks club I'll be playing at are expecting to hear this tune with the lyrics!

Thanks again,
TJW
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 6:56 am    

Amazingly, most of the lyrics in the Spike Jones version have the authentic words...I said "most", not all. If I can locate the Hawaiian lyrics amongst my mess here, I'll type them and send them to you. No promises...you haven't seen this mess!
By the way, the HWC started out many years ago as a Hawaiian waltz...did you know that? It was not titled HWC, I think someone (haole) like Tommy Dorsey, (possibly not him), tagged the song as HWC. It has nothing to do with "chanting" or "war". It was a romantic waltz !
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 7:53 am    

As the sun pulls away from the shore
And our ship sinks slowly in the west...
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 8:22 pm    

I think Spike and the City Slickers went down with that ship Earnest ! (ha!)
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2002 4:55 am    

Keoki,

I noted with great interest your statement about the Hawaiian War Chant starting out as a waltz! In an interview for the Pacific Island program of the "Music From the Sunshine State" radio series I just finished producing for the FL Dept of State, Dick Sanft stated the HWC started as a waltz. I checked my personal library and could find no more info on the subject. So it was nice to see you corraborate Sanft's story here. Love this Forum!

By the way, the radio series will be uplinked to the Public Radio Satellite System for free download by all NPR affiliates. The 8 one-hour programs will come one a week beginning in Sept or Oct 2002. I'll post a notice. The Pacific Island program features three selections by Sanft and an interview. The Sacred Music program features sacred steelers Josh Taylor, Aubrey Ghent and Henry Nelson (as well as everything from shape-note to bluegrass gospel and Vodou).

Best,

Bob
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2002 5:10 am    

Todd,

I just noticed it was you who started this thread (still on the first cup of coffee). Have you asked Dick Sanft or some of his buddies for the lyrics? Please tell Dick "hello" for me.

I just checked "Hawaiian Music and Musicians" by George Kanahele, Univ Press of Hawaii.(out of print, but well worth finding). Just a smattering of lyrics there, but some interesting commentary on the "t" sound in early Hawaiian language useage. Apparently the sound is still used on the island of Ni'ihau and somewhat interchangeable with a "k" sound. Remember is was the English speakers that decided the Hawaiians had no "t"!

The song as we know it was copyrighted by Johnny Noble in 1936. According to Kanahele, he apparently "borrowed" the melody from a slow-tempo love song by Prince Leleiohoku. No specific mention of waltz tempo, but 3/4 is certainly likely for slow love songs.

Best,

Bob
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 May 2002 6:09 am    

Check out this version of the War Chant by Big Kahuna & the Copa Cat Pack - a fun and incredibly tight big band.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JLIT/qid=1022853496/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/103-3192399-9463826
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 31 May 2002 2:29 pm    

Hey Bob -- I will DEFINITELY say "hello" to Dick Sanft the next time I see him. I can't begin to describe how fortunate I feel to have been able to meet him, and get to play several gigs with him (and hopefully many more)! I've learned a lot about Hawaiian music, but even more about how to play with that aloha spirit in my playing.

I just bought a ukulele (a baritone, on which he put a high D in place of the low D -- he says it sounds more authentically Hawaiian that way), and have been learning a lot of chords and their inversions. What a fun instrument!

Anyway, I have to run and play a gig (jazz and swing tonight, on bass/vocals). Thanks again to all for the help! Love this forum, too!

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (Amaj9, E13, C6) or 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6) through an old Super Reverb or Deluxe; Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G)