| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bear Recs. Hawaiian MP3 CD-ROM
HOWaiian

Post  Posted 25 May 2002 12:08 pm    

If anyone doesn't have this yet, for God's sake, get it already!!! I've had it for about a month, and I'm only @ track 96 of 188!

it's completely unmastered, straight transfers from 78s: no SonicSolutions NoNoise or Cedar, so some of the cuts sound pretty rough. I could do without the needle drops as well [luckily, they're not loud enough to be speaker killers], but all in all....!!!!

I've been a big fan of Sol Hoopii for a few years now, and this thing has tons of his music, but the real find for me on this comp are the Andy Iona tracks. I can't believe I've never heard his stuff before--his playing, and ESPECIALLY his tone, are mindblowing. between his hands & that tricone, he gets the volume & sustain of an electric. if I didn't believe it before, I sure believe it now: I will suffer an eternity in purgatory if I die without a National Tricone squareneck.

the real standout track for me [so far!] is #61, truett & george's "ghost dance." how wonderfully goofy & beautiful at the same time! and my 6-year old son loves all of this stuff, thank goodness!

to play the CD-ROM on something other than my computer, I picked up a RioVolt SP90 walkman, which plays CD audio, MP3, WMA & ASF formats. a pretty nifty device, and only $100.

again, if anyone out there doesn't have this CD-ROM, get on the horn immediately! I owe Dave Stewart a great debt for this comp. do yerself a favor...BUY IT! it's only $19.95, fer cryinoutloud! the deal of the millennium! a bargain at thrice the price! you get what I'm saying.....

Dave Stewart's website is http://www.geocities.com/dstew5/
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2002 5:33 pm    

I agree 100% !!!!

I'm a HUGE fan of first generation ELECTRIC steel. I like a good tricone as much as anyone ... but a frypan or bakelite in those guys hands

Quite a bit of that on there too .... A couple of tunes have Sol Hoopii and Dick McIntire playin' duets.

You can download the discography from that sight you pointed to .....

Thanks Brad ... for initially postin' info about these jewels.

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 25 May 2002 at 09:34 PM.]