| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Ultra D-10 - Can't Get E9 1st string up to G# with RKL
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 7:16 pm    

Hey kids,

I'm sure this is easy, but I'm kind of a numbskull with this stuff.

Just restrung my GFI Ultra D-10 after having a set of Truetones installed. This is my first string change after buying it (used). Previously, the RKL had the typical lower 6 to F#......raise 2 to E...and raise 1 to G#. I used the the Emmons SIT sets, which are the gauges GFI recommends, but I'm guessing there were different gauges on there when I bought it. So now, I can't get the RKL lever tuned QUITE enough to get a G# on string 1. Close, but needs a few more turns, but the tuning nut won't go any further.

Is there a way to reset this? Any advice......even if it seems simple or stoooopid is appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2021 10:29 pm    

If the guitar would tune before and will not now it may be a change in string diameter.
If the tuning nut will not screw any more onto the pull rod, The rod is bottoming out in the nylon tuning nut.

Unscrew the nylon tuning nut about 3 or 4 turns, Then go under the guitar loosen the set screw in the brass barrel holding the pull rod to the bell crank, Move the pull rod back till just a little slack between the nylon nut and changer finger, Tighten screw in brass barrel. Check tuning.

If this will not cure the problem, May have to move the pull rod a hole further from the cross rod under the guitar.
With the stops for knee lever raises and lowers is on the knee lever bracket, May be another thing to consider.

Do only 1 thing at a time. before going to another change.
Good Luck in getting the GFI back happy steelin.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 3:00 am    

Here is the GFI rodding chart, for reference. I've owned two GFI's and never had a problem tuning. Since it was a string change, wrong string installed or a mis marked string package could cause it. If you have another correct gauge string that would be my first option. Back out (loosen) the tuning nut, install new string, tune open F# then try tuning the G% raise.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2021 4:47 am    

Jim
Before you go under the 'hood', Loosen the string & plastic tuning nut & make sure the ball end is seated correctly on the changer finger. I've seen this before.
Keep us posted.
Thx, Pat