| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal 4 (D)
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 10:41 am    

Hello., I probably should know this but I don't so...
On my D-10 GFI, Pedal 4 or (D) is lowering strings 5 and 10 from B to A#. Is this normal? Is it the Franklin Pedal?
Is it lowering to the right note and how the hech do I use it? It just doesn't sound right with anything I do. Please be kind in your response as due to meds I get confused easily. Thanks for anything you might be able to share about this change.

Best Regards
Chuck Morel
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 10:57 am     Pedal 4

All questions are welcomed on the Forum. I think your pedal 4 is supposed to drop strings 5 & 10 a full tone from B to A, you may have a knee lever that lowers string 6 a full tone also.. if you do it appears someone is using a split option on the Franklin pedal idea.

A Franklin pedal 4 or zero pedal lowers 5,6, & 10 a full tone but players such as Tommy White split that change and drop 5 & 10 on a pedal as well as 6 on a knee lever which allows several chord and lick options.

You may also have a knee lever that lowers 5 & 10 a half tone from B to Bb, this is also a great change but used in conjunction with your A & B pedals which is why I think your 4th pedal isn’t tuned appropriately because it’s quite difficult to use the A & B pedal as well as your 4th ( D ) pedal unless you use both feet

Bottom line is you have more than enough to work with for quite some time..enjoy
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 2:38 pm    

Hello Mike and thank you very much for explaining that to me so I could understand. Im going to lower from A# down to A on stringe 5&10 on pedal 4 and see what I can come up with. I will also chech for the knee lever which may lower the 6 string. I'm really happy you answered my post. Can't wait to play around with it.
Thanks again and stay safe.
Best Regards.
Chuck Morel
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 2:48 pm    

Chuck; glad it was understandable to you, sounds like you have a good setup on your guitar so lots of licks and chords will be underneath your fingertips! Enjoy!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2021 7:51 pm    

If I may be permitted...

The lowering of 5 & 10 on P4 is not necessarily an error or mistake. It's an older move that was sometimes referred to as the "Brumley Pedal", and it was used to get the famous"Together Again" lick (a 9th chord) with more voicing. P4 is the correct position for the pedal if you are using a "Day" setup (C-B-A) because it works best beside the "A" pedal. I have that very change on three of my guitars, and I simply prefer it to lowering either the 5th or 6th string a full tone.

Different strokes...mostly for us older folks (that like to keep things simple). Cool
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2021 9:09 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
If I may be permitted...

The lowering of 5 & 10 on P4 is not necessarily an error or mistake. It's an older move that was sometimes referred to as the "Brumley Pedal", and it was used to get the famous"Together Again" lick (a 9th chord) with more voicing. P4 is the correct position for the pedal if you are using a "Day" setup (C-B-A) because it works best beside the "A" pedal. I have that very change on three of my guitars, and I simply prefer it to lowering either the 5th or 6th string a full tone.

Different strokes...mostly for us older folks (that like to keep things simple). Cool

I am a Day player and P4 on my guitar lowers 5 & 10 to Bb as Donny mentioned. Love those changes on the pedal as opposed to a knee lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2021 11:34 pm    

I have that on a knee lever. It takes an A+B and makes it a minor among other things.
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 4:16 am    

Les Cargill wrote:
I have that on a knee lever. It takes an A+B and makes it a minor among other things.

I have that on the knee as well. In my extremely limited understanding the ability to take the A+B to a minor is the main advantage of having it on the knee, though wiser heads have already pointed out reasons to have it on the floor.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2021 9:43 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:

I have that on the knee as well. In my extremely limited understanding the ability to take the A+B to a minor is the main advantage of having it on the knee, though wiser heads have already pointed out reasons to have it on the floor.

I get the Am easily by half-pedalling the A pedal, or going up one fret, letting off the A & B pedals, and hitting the E to D# lever. They are all the same minor chord. I can also play a rootless minor with my A pedal and the pedal next to it that lowers B to Bb. I don’t feel I lose anything by having it on a pedal as opposed to a lever. I mainly use to get the 2~9 chord similar to pedal 5 on C6.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.