| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Homemade Steel Seat - Milk Crates and Zip Ties
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 9:12 am    

After my latest lesson with the awesome John McClung I realized my seat height was not appropriate for me at all. I ordered a bench seat and now it is lost in UPS world. It made it to within 50 miles of my house and then it disappeared.

My needs are a little specialized as I transfer from my wheelchair to the seat. Check out my DIY steel seat. Four milk crates, lashed together with zip ties. All topped with a wheelchair cushion. it fits my needs perfectly, it puts my forearms at the exact height I need.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 4:53 pm    

This is super cool, nice job. Makes me think that my seat is too low. Do you find that it flexes or sways side to side at all?

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 5:09 pm    

That looks a lot more professional and hi tech than using hose clamps.
Believe me, I've been happy to have worse.
Keep it up! Seriously!
Doug E
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 12:12 pm    

Andrew Goulet wrote:
This is super cool, nice job. Makes me think that my seat is too low. Do you find that it flexes or sways side to side at all?

I actually find this to be a very stable setup. If you try it make sure you have real milk crates. The real crates are incredibly strong they fit together almost like a lego block.
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 6:24 am    

I feel that seat height is the foundation for proper pedal steel playing ergonomics. Bicycles are the same. The first thing one does when setting up a new bike or building a custom frame is to establish the correct seating position.

While humans are pretty dang adaptable, adapting our gear to our own body dimensions and needs will almost always provide a more comfortable playing position.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 12:30 pm    

Those milk crates are sturdy and don't flex that much. I often use a single for jobs on my truck that are low and I need to sit for a long time. They're actually quite comfortable even without a cushion. I'd guess if those zip ties are snug enough and there are enough of them they'd work great as a steel seat.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 1:47 pm    

Steve, I recently ran across a $40 or so benchseat on Amazon that had 4 height adjustment settings vs the 3 most of the cheap seats have. But your DYI looks pretty good, and as long as you have enough zip ties so it doesn't wiggle around, good enough! Has the correct seat height made a big improvement in ergonomics for your playing? --- John
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2021 5:26 pm    

John McClung wrote:
Steve, I recently ran across a $40 or so benchseat on Amazon that had 4 height adjustment settings vs the 3 most of the cheap seats have. --- John

I purchased the seat that you sent me info on last lesson. Unfortunately it has taken the long about route to get to Longview. It shipped from Kansas to Portland. In Portland it got lost for a few days, then it shows up in Arizona. Currently it is in Salt Lake City Utah, trying to make its way to Portland again.

Sigh.....zipe ties and milk crates till then.

The improvements brought about by having my ergonomics in line has helped immensely. Especially having my forearms at the correct height.

Steve
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 2:36 pm    

What brilliant design engineer Ross Shafer said...
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2021 8:31 am    

+ 2 for what Ross said.

Get the proper hight for you, and a seat that recreates the same posture every time.
It’s important.