| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing a shot leg socket and leg insert
RD Bennett

Central IL, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 10:37 am    

Hi all! I recently came across a Magnatone console steel with one leg insert somehow permanently threaded into its socket by the previous owner. It took a machine shop to finally get the duo apart, but - as I reasonably suspected before I even got to the shop - the threads on both the socket and the insert are perma-kaput.

I'm now hoping to find the most cost-effective route to getting my steel back on three legs. (The machine shop wasn't interested in helping me fab new ones.)

Here are the parts I now need to replace, just as they came back from the arbor press or whatever brute-forcing they experienced prior to their separation.

Thanks in advance all!
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 1:13 pm    

If you don't mind a mismatched set, 2 vintage, 1 modern, there's leg sockets like https://www.sillmusicsupply.com/Alluminum-6061-CNC-socket-to-attach-your-lap-steel-legs_p_23.html

(but you have to buy at least 3...)
RD Bennett

Central IL, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 1:28 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
If you don't mind a mismatched set, 2 vintage, 1 modern, there's leg sockets like https://www.sillmusicsupply.com/Alluminum-6061-CNC-socket-to-attach-your-lap-steel-legs_p_23.html

(but you have to buy at least 3...)

Yeah, and unfortunately that would also seemingly (and expensively) mean all new legs too, unless I could also fabricate a new threaded insert to go into the original leg.

I'll probably need another option. Thanks for pointing this one out though!