| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 string 9 lower-what is it for?
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 6:54 pm    

I play E9 (GFI) standard set up (as it came). I feel I'm getting along pretty well, and use & understand everything.

But I've never really used the 9th string lower D to C# in a practical setting. I've played around to try to find chords or reasons this is there, especially since 10th string with A pedal down is the same note. I haven't found it's use in anything I study from YouTube or lick I try to learn from listening to music.

Am I missing something? I'm looking for an "Oh, yeah" that my brain hasn't figured out yet.
Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 7:24 pm    

I use it to resolve the 7 of the dominant 7 chord down to the major third of the tonic.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 10:28 pm    

When lowered With pedals up it gives you a 6th note. With pedals down it gives you a 3rd note.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2021 11:50 pm    

It can also function as a half-stop if you also lower 2 to C#
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 3:05 am    

What I used to tell students why certain changes exist that give you the same note as another string or another pedal change is:

1. It's not necessarily the note, but what you can do with that note.

2. It's not always about chords. Sometimes it's about licks. My first real introduction to the 9th string lower was learning the intro and solo to the Mark Chesnutt song, "Old Country". At the end of the intro and solo, Paul Franklin ends up at the 8th fret (song is in F) with pedals down. He let's off the A pedal after picking strings 4&5, hits string 6 with the B pedal pressed, pick string 7, string 8, then string 9 and activate the lever that lowers string 9. That gives the sound of lowering a suspended 4 note down to the third. Not saying that's exactly how Paul did it. Since he is a genius when it comes to bar slants (he used one on the 5th string with A pedal pressed earlier in the intro and solo), he may have used the 10th string with the A pedal pressed, slanted the bar on 10 to the 9th fret and resolved the slant back to the 8th fret. I did it that way before adding the 9th string lower. The 9th string lower is way easier.

3. We don't (well most of us) don't question the raising of string 1 to G#, raising 2 to E, lowering 2 to C#, raising 4 to F#, lowering 6 to F# or raising 7 to G#. Those notes are all available on other strings, with or without pedals. Those changes not only work for making chords, but also work for making licks. Actually, we did question it before we learned what they did. Part of the learning process.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 3:58 am    

Arguably the most important 'pull' on my E9 neck. It's the doorway to a much broader library of extended chords.

Try thinking of the D string (9th) as the root-note of the chord, then experimenting with your other basic pedals. It's a whole new world!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 6:39 am    

I've got a bunch of tabs and sounds files for this here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html

Just listen to the sound files and you can get a sense of what the 9th string lower can do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 7:04 am    

If your lever also lowers string 2 to C#, you have 10-string pentatonic scales over Pedals Up I and VIm chords, and with B Pedal Down over IV and IIm chords, all at one fret. The guitar player in me loves that lever.

Also, combining string 9 lower (+string 2 to C#) with E raise creates a dom7sus chord with 7-1-3-4-5 interval voicing in both octaves. What I would call the George Harrison tuning.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 11:41 am    

Fred, in your avatar pic, who's the other guy?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 11:51 am    

Haha Ian!
I think it’s your mom...
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 9:49 am    

Lowering both your E's together with the ninth string D to C# lower gives you a complete B6th tuning on the bottom 8 strings, almost like having another neck on your guitar which you can use for Faux C6th sounds at first, sixth,eighth and 13th frets. Hank Thompson style. Its like having the C6th neck no pedals on your E9th rig.

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 11:39 am    

Richard, since I lower string 2 and 9 on the same knee that lowers my Es, I added an additional lower of 9 on the lever that lowers my Es. Works great! Only thing I miss out on is some chromatic note options on the low strings, but never used them anyways.
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 12:59 pm    

Wow senor Leal ! Thats the first time I have heard of that ! But I can see its simpler than throwing both knee levers to the right simultaneously,(as lots of us have E lowers LKR and the 9th string and 2nd string lowers RKR.)

Last edited by Richard Alderson on 16 Sep 2021 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 1:02 pm    

Hi Jon -

I have to admit the 9th string lower was on my steel before I realized what it was for!

You're right, the 9th string Lower and 10th string Raise both wind up producing the same note.

Here's a simple idea that may get you started on some additional applications:

Say you're gonna end a slow song in a Closed Major Chord on strings 6, 8, and 10.

Rather than picking strings 6, 8 and 10 together and pushing A&B pedals, try this:

Pick string 6, and raise it with the B pedal.
While string 6 is still ringing, pick string 8.
While Both strings are still ringing, pick string 9 and then lower it.

The above will produce your Closed Major Chord, but with a little bit more 'color' than just picking strings 6, 8 and 10 together and then pushing A & B pedals.

You'll find multiple uses for the 9th string drop.

Enjoy the journey!

Ron