| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud fretboards ?
Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 3:16 pm    

Hi all -

Is anyone making repro Sho-Bud fretboards in white? I’d like to find some nice ones silkscreened onto metal boards rather than simple vinyl stickers. I posted here rather than WTB because it was more of a specific questions. Can move the post if needed.

Thanks,
NF

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2021 7:51 pm    

Quote:
Is anyone making repro Sho-Bud fretboards in white? I’d like to find some nice ones silkscreened onto metal boards rather than simple vinyl stickers

Nope
Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 5:38 am    

I wish this wasn't true but Ricky is correct I have been looking for a while with only some old post where someone was 3D printing some. My BUD has the old dust collector fret board with cracked area around the screw holes. I am considering taking a 1/8 thick aluminum sheet and cutting out the shape of the ones that Bradshaw sells then powder coat the aluminum sheet and put the decal on it. This would give the raised fretboard look that I would like to keep.

If their is anything out their for the BUD Ricky will know where it is.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 5:47 am    

Thanks guys. I’m also considering making some of these. I have a friend who is a machinist and also does a lot of creative work and I think he may be able to silk screen on metal for me. The hardest part would be designing the template to print. If I can make this happen, I’ll let everyone know.

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 7:08 am    

Tom Bradshaw sells repro Sho-Bud fret boards, both white and black. They are silk screened onto a thick mylar material, and not just a vinyl sticker. They aren't thick like the old dust catchers, but they are much more than something like a vinyl bumper sticker. Earlier this year I restored an old BMI which had one of Tom's Sho-Bud fret boards on it. I took the Sho-Bud fret board off of it and replaced it with a new aluminum BMI fret board. I found the Sho-Bud fret board to be quite good and substantial. It seems to be as thick as an aluminum fret board.

https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/fretboards.php

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 9:04 am    

Ever since John Coop and James Morehead passed away; there has be NOBODY making Sho~bud Fretboards with thin metal plate. But there have been Sho~bud fretboards made and they are INCORRECT mathematics> EXCEPT Jeff Surratt. I've gotten a few "white background" Sho~bud fretboards from Jeff and they are silkscreened PERFECT and look great. No they are not on metal plate....but maybe somehow we can talk Jeff into getting them made that way like originals were(white or black)???
Here's where he's at; to ask him>
http://showprosteelguitars.com/
showprosteelguitars@gmail.com

Ricky
Allen Merrell

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 10:43 am    

Ricky, I looked on their site for ShoPro but did not see any fret boards. I would like to have 2 in black do I need to email Jeff? Also how thick are their boards?

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 11:05 am    

I have also been looking into this and thinking about having them made. The big problem is the quantity needed to make it work financially, and the price per part will still be high
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 11:09 am    

Allen, regarding the thickness of Tom Bradshaw’s fretboards, I just checked the thickness of a new one with my old black & white metal one that I removed and although they are of a different material, the thickness is the same. Here is one of Tom’s fretboards on my LDG.
Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 12:13 pm    

As long as the fret board is ACCURATE and looks as it should (authentic), I don't know why metal or mylar makes a difference. My GFI has a mylar fret board - no problem there. The dust catcher fret boards are another story.

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 1:22 pm    

I had a “dust catcher” that was accurate and matched up perfectly with the original black & white metal one. Tom Bradshaw’s fretboard matched up accurately as well and with the addition of extra frets. 😀
Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 1:40 pm    

When I got the new BMI fret board, I was careful to see that it matched up to the Tom Bradshaw Sho-Bud fret board that was on it - perfect match - not only by sight, but by using a tuner.

One thing FOR SURE, is that Ricky Davis knows his stuff, and knows Sho-Bud's probably as good as David and Harry Jackson, or Jeff Surrat. He apparently found out that there is some sort of flaw in the placement of the frets.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2021 2:17 pm    

Thanks Ricky, ken and Jerry. Jerry that LDG looks sweet. The ProfexII I got from you over a year ago still working beautiful I use it everyday. My dust collector has screws that hold it on but I assume the Bradshaw is adhesive back. I do not care what it is made of just as long as it looks somewhat period correct and is accurate. Jerry I'll be up your way in October for the Craftsman Fair in Gatlinburg. I see you got on the list for a Zirctone bar, got mine Tuesday and like it a lot.

Rickey, the talk I got from you the other day about the pickup from Becky Lawrence and its been setting on my shelf for 3 months you really got me thinking I am going to have to install it in the morning, LOL you got my interest up.

Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 1:45 am    

Does anyone have advice about what type of white paint was applied to the upper surfaces? (Of the December 1974 Pro III Custom fretboards)

Or was that silk screen?

It has worn off the corners of mine and if a proper retouch could be done, maybe that is in order?
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 2:26 am    

Quote:
It has worn off the corners of mine and if a proper retouch could be done, maybe that is in order?

I use a sharpie. Whoa!
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 3:25 am    

If the outer border needs retouching as well as some frets, use blue painters tape to carefully and meticulously mask the area in question and use a black or white painters pen (whatever color is needed) from Walmart or Hobby Lobby to create a new corner/border line and frets. It’s kind of the same thing that Dan just mentioned.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 5:38 am    

YES Allen; Email Jeff Surratt about Sho~bud Fretboards, tell him I sent you.
And yes everyone; Tom Bradshaw's Sho~Bud Fretboards are ACCURATE and Jeff's boards are ACCURATE and the original 3D plastic fretboard is perfect ACCURATE one ever put out.
I have had at least a dozen through the years come to my shop with INCORRECT fretting and I would have to change them out; and they were mainly from whoever Seymour got to make his.....OUCH!!!
Thickness; and screw down or not; or material for the Sho~Bud fretboard really does NOT matter for the sound of the shobud at all...
OH and Allen; I can't wait to hear your remarks after you put in and hear this NEW WILDE-Pickup 710 from Becky Lawrence.....yeeehaaaa.
Ricky
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2021 6:39 am    

Any competent signmaker company should be able to produce silk-screen printed fretboards on metal, as well as make a routed 3D dustcatcher version. The only trouble is, doing just one fretboard that way would be a little pricey. If you can provide the signmaker with a good and accurate original and half a dozen or so buddies who also need one, the price per piece would drop to acceptable levels.