| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Meantone Tunings on Peterson Site
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2021 3:30 pm    

I've made 3 useful meantone "sweeteners" available for download into Peterson tuners on their website https://www.petersontuners.com/sweeteners/shared/

These have major thirds set to 392 cents. That's 8 cents flat of equal temperament, and about 7 cents sharp of just intonation. So it's about midway between ET and JI.

I've only tested the D tuning (DMT) on my D6th Hybrid and it sounds really nice. I'd appreciate feedback on the E9th (EMT) and the C6th (C6M).

For those without a Peterson StroboPlus HD or newer, here are the numbers for the chromatic scale:
Tab:

C6M   EMT          DMT
C6th  E9th  cents  D13th
 C     E     +4     D
 C#    F    -10     D#
 D     F#     0     E
 Eb    G    +10     F
 E     G#    -4     F#
 F     A     +6     G
 F#    A#    -8     G#
 G     B     +2     A
 Ab    C    +12     Bb
 A     C#    -2     B
 Bb    D     +8     C
 B     D#    -6     C#

The one that's +12 cents is where things don't always work. On C6th, Ab is set to +12 but according to how it's used you might want G# instead at -12 cents. It's what they call the "Wolfe tone". On E9th it's the C note, which doesn't really appear in most E9th copedent charts.

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2021 4:16 pm    

Interesting. For E9, I too use the +4 cents starting point on open Es, and most triads consistently have major thirds at around -8. ( about 392 cents ).
I'm guessing the Es in this system (at +4) are tuned within the A chord w/pedals down to account for cab drop...but then pedals up would result in Es roughly 8 cents sharp without cab drop. I'd think this would put them at odds with the Bs ( +2 ), and it would make the open E to G# interval closer to JI if I'm understanding the system correctly.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2021 7:08 pm    

I thought that at first too, but tuning each string and pedal individually seems to work just fine on my D6th Hybrid. Cabinet drop changes the intervals somewhat, for sure, but not so much as to make it sound out of tune. Like I said, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who wants to try it on E9th or C6th. I don't have an E9th pedal steel right now - just D6th (with E9th pedals) and D9th.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 6:07 am    

Thanks b0b. I'm going to spend some time playing with this today, both as cents numbers on my Seiko tuner and with the EMT download on a StroboStomp.
I still get messed up trying to get guitars sounding sweet & in tune with themselves at home and yet in tune with other instruments. Bandstand mayhem makes it hard to hear out in the world but I can't quite sound in tune, playing to records at home. This tells me that my sweetened ET approach is not working.
It is always a work in progress.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 6:38 am    

First observation is that with the Seiko inline with the Strobo, the E's in the EMT are reading as +8 rather than +4. So I'm already on uncertain footing.
An additional challenge is the fact that my 2 year old Williams has (from day 1) quite a bit of cab drop. Compromises abound.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 9:39 am    

Jon Light wrote:
First observation is that with the Seiko inline with the Strobo, the E's in the EMT are reading as +8 rather than +4. So I'm already on uncertain footing.

I just verified on the Peterson site that the E in the EMT sweetener is set to +4. Maybe your A440 reference is set to 439 on the Seiko.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 10:10 am    

Great call b0b!
My Seiko must have gotten jostled in my gig bag. Set at 439 indeed!
Back to work now. I have to overcome a whole lot of ear skepticism involving some intervals that I've tuned beatless for a lot of years (strings 3 & 4, 4 & 6, pedals down, A & E....I've always gone for a 'perfect' perfect 4th. Putting beats back in where I'd gotten rid of them......it's not coming easily.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 11:06 am    

I just tuned my D9th guitar (a Desert Rose S-10) to the DMT settings. One thing I discovered: tune the A and B pedals with both pedals down. Don't retune the 4th string, even though it suffers from cabinet drop. It still works because of the "fault tolerant" nature of this tuning.

One big benefit is that the A+F combination is a lot less touchy. The F lever is set to -10, quite a bit higher than most charts have tune it.