| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Small Amplifier recommendations?
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 5:43 am    

I'm looking for a SMALL amp to play my Pre-WWII Bakelite Ric through at small parties and jams. Something lightweight and compact--say maybe one 8" speaker. Must have reverb and I would also prefer a headphone jack--and of course, great tone. Trying to stay in the $150 range. A tall order!

Anyone out there ever tried a Fender Bullet or Frontman 15R for lap steel? Both are 15 watts, 8" speaker and weigh 15 lbs.

I'd be most grateful for any recommendations for small amps.

Thanks,

Bob

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 6:23 am    

Bob,
I think Bobbe Seymour did a review of a couple of Peavey amps a while back and one was a small one that might fit your needs pretty well. I use a Peavey Solo battery powered amp for that sort of thing, it is very light but doesn't have reverb. As far as tone a bakelight will sound good through anything!!
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:04 am    

Funny you should bring this up.

Couple days ago I was down at the Starving Musician (great name for music store!) and was demoing an old Supro lap. I tried it through the cheapest amp I could find, which is a new Kustom amp with an 8" speaker. That amp sounded pretty darn good! I love the price too - $69.95. It has an overdrive switch as well. No reverb or trem.

They had some other in the Kustom line for 89.95 I think (maybe 99.95) with a larger speaker. I need to go back and check these out again.

Unfortunately, Kustom has abandoned the tuck and roll covering so the amp looks like any other generic brand amp.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 9:01 am    

Check out the Danelctro Nifty Fifty. It offers a wide tonal range (solid state) and a fair amout of "bang for the buck" but has no reverb. It has a nice retro look too. You can find these new for about $90.
http://www.danelectro.com/

[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 29 April 2002 at 10:02 AM.]

Dan Farrell

Anaheim, Ca, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 9:39 am    

I have used a fender Frontman (with reverb) as a practice amp for my six string, and was quite surprised at how well it sounded when I plugged my steel into it. You can usually get them for $100 (new) and they also have the 5 year fender warranty. I have had mine since 1997 and have never had a problem Oh yea, the overdrive plus reverb is great.

Dan Farrell
'97 carter D-10
Regal RD-45
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 10:04 am    

I had a Fender Bullet Amp (bought it years ago when I got my first lap steel), but there was no reverb on it. I sold it for that reason. Otherwise, it was a great little amp. I remember it having a headphone jack and an overdrive (dirty) channel. If Fender makes one now with a Reverb channel, it would probably suit your needs very well.

Hope this helps...
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 1:06 pm    

I have an Epiphone Electar (new) that I got on Ebay...$96.00. All tube, 10 watts, 8" speaker. No reverb..

It is the quietest little tube amp (no hum)...and it has a "E" logo on the front. I like it !!!

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 4:19 pm    

Thanks guys. Looks like one of the Fenders--probably the Bullet--might be best.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 29 April 2002 at 05:19 PM.]

Zayit

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 6:03 pm    

Before you join the stampede to the little Fenders, check out the Vox Cambridge. Its 15 watts, with trem but no reverb. Has one tube for an awesome overdrive sound but plays nice clean too. I take mine to jams that arent too loud & 'folky' gigs without a drummer. Paid about 100 greenbacks for it.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 9:05 pm    

My good friend Wayne Tanner is convinced that the new, SMALL SIZE Ampeg amp does the trick for him and ALL of his Bakelite Ricks.
Personally, I"m more than happy with the sound delivered by my OLD Fender tw-reverb tube amp.
I'm NOT saying that if you use anything else that you'll be out of tune EITHER!
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2002 3:45 pm    

Ray:

The smallest Ampeg amp I am aware of that is in production is about the size of a Deluxe with 12" speaker.

Is Wayne talking about something else?

Bill
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2002 8:45 am    

Fender Champion 30. 30 watts thru a 10" speaker,reverb,headphone jack,very small,lightweight,$199. A couple bucks more than your target pricerange but you won't regret it.A hellova lot more amp than the other models mentioned in this thread. -MJ-
Larry Schubert

Orcutt, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2002 12:10 pm    

I use a fender pro jr for a pratice amp a twin for biger stuff I love that lil pr jr no rever or tem just a volume nob and a tone nob.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 1:33 am    

I am just cureous to know if anyone has tried the Peavey, Transtube 258EFX Amp with an 8 inch speaker at 25 watts. I believe they retail for about $199.00

Roger
Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 5 May 2002 8:10 am    

Anyone out there ever tried a Peavy-Delta-Blues with 30 watts through a 15" speaker for Pedal-Steel? I have an offer for $ 280.

Horst
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 6 May 2002 8:06 am    

The Peavey Delta Blues would be a good amp for lap steel, but I don't think it's powerful enough for pedal steel unless you are planning on just playing at home.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 7 May 2002 9:04 pm    

an older peavy backstage...cheap, dependable and reverb + headphone jack...still have mine from the 70's...I've seen them for @ $50 US
Mike
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2002 5:42 am    

Thanks for all the recommendations. Several of my friends have seconded Michael Johnstone's recommendation for the Champion 30--a lot of amp for $200 and still only 25 lbs. I'm hoping to try one out, but Gainesville, FL is a small town. There's a Fender dealer around the corner, but he doen't have a Champion 30 in stock.

And those little Peavey amps are hard to beat. Actually, I have an old 15W Peavey with and 8" speaker and headphone jack, but no reverb. And a reverb or delay pedal costs almost as much as a new amp! That's how I got started looking for another small amp.

Thanks again,

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 08 May 2002 at 06:43 AM.]