| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  curly chalker play,s out of tune
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 2:22 pm    

Just read JD SAUSER post a bout the C6 tuning. He said that curly Chalker played out of tune on his C6 neck. I'm surprised someone hasn't challenged him on that. Don't we all wish we could play out to tune the way CURLY CHALKER did.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 2:54 pm    

‘Out of tune’ is a vague statement, does it mean all of the time, does it mean it happened one time, does it mean one note? Slip of the bar, bad night, poor lighting, rest of the band out? Very Happy Everyone has played out of tune at some point, it’s a worthless statement.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 4:30 pm    

Any time you have lots of pedals and levers, you're gonna be out of tune...sometime...somewhere. (Let's not forget that there were no compensators back then!) The perfect intervals that we're used to hearing on E9th chords just aren't possible on C6th, but most of what ol' "Curls" did was pretty acceptable. That he used a lot of full chords (when other C6th players were more known for blistering single-note stuff) also contributed to what you're hearing.

Tolerances for those iffy harmonies vary greatly. My own ears are pretty sensitive, so like J.D., I pick up on a lot of stuff that a lot of players would ignore. Sharp ears are both a blessing...and a curse, it seems.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 8:48 am    

Was he out-of-tune? Yes, on occasion, but that sounded as though it was the vagaries of the available mechanics back then.

Was he one of the greatest to ever sit behind a steel? YES!

I raised this spectre many years ago here on the Forum and, unsurprisingly, I was shot down for my comments. When I listen to Curly's 'Big Hits...', what I hear is someone challenging the outer boundaries in terms of chord inversions and falling slightly foul of the instrument's mechanical limitations. Curly himself didn't sound as if he had any limitations.

And what about that right-hand of his??? Whoa!
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 9:50 am    

Jeff Newman once commented that a steel guitar is never really in tune. I felt a better after he said that😎

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 10:20 am    

I'll tell you what. If I could play like Chalker, I'd be happy to be occasionally "out of tune" just like him - whatever that means.

I think some of this is personal taste. Chalker was a very bluesy player on C6. I don't think any steel player has ever done that bluesy jazz playing better than him, and things that sound right for blues might sound out of tune to someone who isn't into the style. For example, I've read Chet Atkins stating that he didn't like, e.g., singers sliding into a note. That kind of thing is a stylistic preference.

I'll also say that I always thought Chalker's E9 playing was absolutely impeccable, in every way, including tuning. Maybe there are examples that I haven't heard to the contrary, but everything I've heard was super in-tune.

I saw Curly a couple of times live in the 80s in Nashville, I got the impression of an extreme perfectionist, i.e., stuff was done intentionally. That's the light in which I view him.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 11:05 am    

Len Amaral wrote:
Jeff Newman once commented that a steel guitar is never really in tune. I felt a better after he said that😎

this is true of many instruments, not just steel guitar.

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 11:21 am    

scott murray wrote:
Len Amaral wrote:

this is true of many instruments, not just steel guitar.

I see you've heard me play fretless bass.
Walter Webb

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 11:38 am    

I read somewhere that Curley had varying levels of commitment and concentration for doing his best in every situation... especially on gigs where he was a hired hand. I also wonder about the lifetime compensation a pedal steel guitarist might earn, even for such a great talent as Curley Chalker, on the scene working hard since at least the early 50s...
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2021 7:12 pm    

Depending on how sensitive your ear is, you can hear most EVERY steel player.....including the greats.....be varying degrees of "out of tune", especially live.

a) It's a constant struggle

b)It's the nature of the instrument

I also believe, the more complex you play, chordally, on the PSG, the more you have to compensate.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 4:31 am    

I don't think I ever heard any pitchiness in Curly's E9 playing. I 'get' the blues inference, but his occasional C6 inaccuracies were, I'm sure, caused by combinations of pedals and knees along with some calculated bar-slanting.

It's expecting a lot of the instrument in those circumstances.

And yes, Dave Mudgett, I too would accept a degree of pitchiness if I could achieve what Chalker did on steel guitar, as would most of us. Winking
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 5:21 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Was he out-of-tune? Yes, on occasion, but that sounded as though it was the vagaries of the available mechanics back then.

Was he one of the greatest to ever sit behind a steel? YES!

I raised this spectre many years ago here on the Forum and, unsurprisingly, I was shot down for my comments. When I listen to Curly's 'Big Hits...', what I hear is someone challenging the outer boundaries in terms of chord inversions and falling slightly foul of the instrument's mechanical limitations. Curly himself didn't sound as if he had any limitations.

And what about that right-hand of his??? Whoa!

That album of Curly's made me refer to him as the John Bonham of steel guitar. I can hear his pedals squeaking.
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 5:32 am    

I'm never out of tune, I just incorporate microtones into my playing Smile

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 7:06 am    

I never said CC didn't play amazing. I don't think he PLAYED so much out of tune, but I feel his change combinations had conflicts. And... as he was known to play good he also had a reputation to sometimes not to give much attention and dedication depending on the venue. Hank Thompson who LOVED steel guitar and was very aware of the fact that his steel players were a major force in having shaped his sound and fame, and loved to come visit steel guitar conventions, said a few carefully worded things about that. But the later was not my point.
My point was TUNING and why I chose to go against my heart (JI) and tune up ET... because or conflicts with change combinations.

Back to CC, was an amazing and remains an un-equaled, un-copied C6th player.
I also think he was most underrated on E9th. And he is one I most like to listen to playing E9t, because he was never shrill. He had something of a Jerry Byrd'esque touch on E9th. The fact that he had his E9th tuning on the back neck seems to have mislead many that it was "secondary" (like C6th would be "secondary" to so many D10 owners who only lean on it). That was as far as possible from the truth. He could also make that "old" MSA SING, whilst so many tried to argue that the older MSA's couldn't keep up with the other "two" brands.

It would seem that it would be an understatement to recognize that in everything we know CC did, he did it very much his way. And he managed to make it a living.

But yes, I can post many recordings, even off vinyl (older tapes tend to wobble after the decades) on which some of his chords are noticeably and sometimes painfully out of tune. I am sure, BE, JB, LG will have had a bad day occasionally, but I never heard recordings of them that made me look up and say "whaaaat?".
While I am at it, I think that for the same reasons, I have some times a hard time with some of Julian Tharpe. I don't believe there either that he was careless with his intonation, but some, many, of his pedal-lever combinations were plagued by very audible compromises. It still makes for some amazing material.
Jimmy Day published a steel guitar album, that I like a lot, with some "Jerry Byrd" tunes on PSG and then some orchestrated E9th Country hits of the era. There are several passages where he played painfully out of tune (or his guitar had lost tuning). It was noted immediately upon the release of the record and people scorned Tom Bradshaw for pointing out these somewhat surprising flaws on the Nashville record in his own publication (The Steel Guitarist). Why? Jimmy Day, remains one of the greatest and most influential players, even if he indeed played some clunkers on a record.

So why "challenge" someone on this if it wasn't for being un-true?
I admire CC and I listen a lot to him. I meant no disrespect.
I wished I could play like him. I can't. But if I could, I would want to sound in tune at any time.
And I don't always and then I hate myself and work on it.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 12:27 pm    

There are certain 'sacred cows' here on the Forum. Any hint of what some see as criticism will land you in hot water.

I knew I should have left this alone. Sad
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 12:56 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
There are certain 'sacred cows' here on the Forum. Any hint of what some see as criticism will land you in hot water.

I knew I should have left this alone. Sad

Eh it can make for good/lively conversation.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 8:53 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Any hint of what some see as criticism will land you in hot water. Sad

...even when they ask for constructive criticism or honest opinions, some forumites seem to expect nothing but praise...
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 9:24 pm    

Honestly, I never noticed. And compared to what? He sounded more in tune than the horns on most jazz recordings, in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/-Eg2h7VP7pM

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 3:08 am    

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 5:17 am    

Andrew Frost wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ... "More Ways To Tune!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 9:07 am    

Are we mistaking "out of tune" for "unusual chord inversions"? Curly was the king.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 10:15 am    

One of the guys who loved Curly's right hand technique was the Big 'E', and commented on it in the UK magazine Country Music People in the early 1970's. I have virtually every commercial recording that Curly played on. Some of his playing is outrageously incredible. Maurice Anderson once told me that Curly didn't always play the correct chords to some tunes. That didn't bother me in the least. I'd love to hear Curly play a modern pedal steel that could accept his percussive style and his huge polychords.

While a lost of steelers go into raptures about Curly's big chords and stellar right hand and so they should, for me though, I always loved the technique he has with his volume pedal. Just beyond smooth. Finally, pick blocking became de rigueur for a lot of players back in the 70's, many of whom thought that it was 'invented' by Paul Franklin. Curly Chalker had been pick blocking for decades before then, and many Hawaiian players had done so before Curly.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 11:29 am    

WHYNOT CRITIZE PAUL FRANKLIN.TOMMY WHITE.LOYAD GREEN AND OTHER GREAT STEEL PLAYERS,THAT ARE STILL ALIVE.AT LEAST THEY CAN DEFEND THEIR PLAYING IF THEY WON'T TOO. CURLY CAN'T.
THEY PROBLEY HAVE FLAWES YOUR SINSTIVE EAR'S MIGHT HEAR.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 12:31 pm    

Willie Sims wrote:
WHYNOT CRITIZE PAUL FRANKLIN.TOMMY WHITE.LOYAD GREEN AND OTHER GREAT STEEL PLAYERS,THAT ARE STILL ALIVE.AT LEAST THEY CAN DEFEND THEIR PLAYING IF THEY WON'T TOO. CURLY CAN'T.
THEY PROBLEY HAVE FLAWES YOUR SINSTIVE EAR'S MIGHT HEAR.

Very Happy

OK... I see, you're getting "loud"... and not unlike many who are loud, you don't listen (well, read, in this case).

Please feel free to read my initial post you refer to and my explanation on this thread. I did NOT seek to criticize anybody. I was talking about tuning (which we now all agree, is NEVER fully in-tune) and what I was trying to avoid by tuning a way I had always opposed. And I am fine with agreeing to disagree on that and the language I used to describe my thoughts. But you will NOT stand blaring around I criticize Curly or whom ever because I mentioned an example.

And if you're just after stirring up a little virtual storm... fine!
But won't be with me.

I said my piece and that's the end of it for me.
You are welcome to no try bold and red letters and even combine both too.
Most of us who have been on forums since the inception of home-internet have been there, fallen for it, picked the bait, wound up burnt and aggravated... and eventually figured, that sometimes, someone just wants to pick a fight and it's just not worth it.

I'm goin' playin' now... HOPEFULLY somewhat IN tune.

Bye!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 12:43 pm    

One thing that stands out to me about Curly is that on an instrument that sort of requires a player to plan ahead and be very intentional he played seemingly with alot of abandon. Sometimes when you really go for it you end up walking a fine line. That said if I was trying to show a rock or blues player a hot steel player I'd show them Curly because I think he would connect.