| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hippiebilly and no-hit wonders of California plus more
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 11:11 am    

http://www.slipcue.com/music/country/countrystyles/regional/states-california_01.html

A friend sent me this link that I found to be pretty fun and interesting. It’s a list of regional country artists, mostly unknown but also a few well known. Several on the list comes with a description and he lists the musicians if possible…I skimmed through the California list which goes as far back as the late 50’s up to about the late ‘80’s. Most of what I read so far was 70’s and 80’s. I see lots of California celebrity Steelers like Al Perkins, Ernie Hagar, Red Rhodes, Tom Brumley, JayDee, Sneaky Pete, Bobby Black, Greg Liesz, John McFee, etc, and even Noel Boggs! Also I see some familiar names, even a few that I’ve played with, and a few I’ve seen on the forum, plus several unfamiliar (to me) steel players. Not sure how active the website is but he invites you to send more, which I imagine would be quite a few….sorry if this has already been posted, or posted on the wrong section. The link is for California artists but if you scroll to the bottom you can navigate to your home state or different lists. Let us know if you see your name on there!

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 5 Aug 2021 2:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 1:04 pm    

Some forum names I see are Joe Goldmark, Don McClellen, Gary Roda, Doug Livingston, Carl Walden, Barry Blackwood, Stu Schulman, and Chris Ivey.

Paul Dobbs is on there too. He was a Fresno guy that played like a Nashville guy!

I have one of the Monte Mills albums listed, but he doesn't list the band. Monte was a farrier in San Luis Obisbo County. I found a record in the used bin for $1 and Bud Isaacs and Roy Lanham play on it! Very Happy
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 5:37 pm    

Dave, thanks for posting that! I see a few familiar names in the New York section. The overall amount of talent would take a lifetime to digest.

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 5:53 pm    

Quote:
The overall amount of talent would take a lifetime to digest.

Yeah, right?!

After I posted the link I found other categories, like Western swing and alt country….I found a few things I tracked on in the alt country section…..

On the California list I was amazed at how many steel pickers I never heard of….but then again I was born in ‘63 and really didn’t start gigging until 1990/91…(late bloomer)😂
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 10:16 am    

Awesome list and thanks for posting. I would ad the duo Silverado with J.D on steel and of course Lawrence Hammond's Coyotes Dream. He also had a band called Mad River whom had a Country influence. But as Don said, a lifetime is not nearly enough to go through it all.

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 1:47 pm     Looking For Wild Country

There was a seventies band Wild Country that had Bruce Turner on steel Billy playing lead and Larry Walck playing bass...Bruce was a very accomplished player and i have really been tring to find him for years.Our fearless leader Bob says he has heard of him but does not know his whereabouts...They played at the Ponderosa in Santa Rosa and Mardis on Top of the Hill outside Sebastopol
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 2:40 pm    

I love this!

Lotta memories in there...
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 12:04 pm    

I sent the link to David Phillips.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 11:17 am     Ed Black

Found one band that I played with at Knotts Berry Farm in the late "70's, maybe early '80's. Got to meet and play with the great Ed Black. Bobbi sang "Silver Threads" and Ed reproduced his fuzz steel break that he recorded with Linda Ronstadt. Cool

Bobbi And Clyde "...And The Seaweed Cowboys" (BCS Records, 19--?) (LP)
The Southern California duo of Bobbi McGavran and Clyde Lucas worked in a wide variety of venues, including a stint as the house band at Knott's Berry Farm, gigs with various country rockers and later, work in film and TV. This album was made with Bill Cunningham and J. Scott Hendrickson, who wrote about half the songs on the album. Not sure of the year on this one, but I think it's of late 1970s vintage.
Stephen Silver

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 6:27 am     Bobbi and Clyde

I have a few cuts on that album. Bobbi and Scott are still somewhere along the coast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBboyjVM1Zc

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 7:59 pm    

Hey Dave, Great site and I've never seen it! Thanks for posting. This site is run by a local guy named Lawrence Kay, who also does some Blogs and Podcasts (I think) as "Joe Sixpack."

Joe
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 8:03 pm    

Tons of cool history there. I love this kind of stuff.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2021 10:29 pm     Re: Ed Black

Garry Vanderlinde wrote:
Found one band that I played with at Knotts Berry Farm in the late "70's, maybe early '80's. Got to meet and play with the great Ed Black. Bobbi sang "Silver Threads" and Ed reproduced his fuzz steel break that he recorded with Linda Ronstadt. Cool

Ed did play a groovy... hey, I'm 73 Laughing... solo on Linda's recording of "Silver Threads," but it was actually Linda's second recording of the tune. The first was on her "Hand Sown, Home Grown" album from 1969, with Red Rhodes on steel.

I was present at the sessions, and Red had a fuzz AND a phase shifter (remember those? Laughing) going on for his solo, played on a Fender 1000 into a Twin Reverb. Ed's solo on the later cut pays homage to Red's initial version.

EDIT: My memory was faulty. Red was playing a Fender 800, not a 1000.

Ed was a good friend of mine. He was one of the best around. And the same goes for Red. I miss both those guys.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 12 Aug 2021 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2021 10:55 am    

Me too, Herb...
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 4:36 am    

Dave, I worked a lot of jobs with Monte Mills since the late 80’s whenever I would visit SLO, even one with Roy Nichols. Monte would use Roy, Tiny and Norm Hamlet on most of his albums. They reviewed with him a lot over the years. Back in the 80’s, 90’s Monte was one of the biggest acts on the central coast
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2021 7:59 am    

I remember seeing Monte Mills & the Lucky Horseshoe Band, I’ve seen him a bunch in the 80s & 90s. He had a ranch on LOVR called the “Bar Nuthin” Ranch. (SLOCO)
One of the local Pathologists (Dr. Kirschner) would hold private Ranch Partys & BBQ’s. The band would play on an old flatbed truck sometimes.
He always had a really good band, sometimes have guest pickers sit in.
I think he sold the ranch and moved to the North County (805)area. There are some videos on you tube of Monte Mills & the Lucky Horseshoe Band.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2021 8:08 am    

He moved out off Hwy 58 on Huer Huero Rd many, many years ago...