| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green's (?) Deluxe Reverb
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 8:35 am    

I've started watching this series of seven Paul Franklin interview sessions with Lloyd Green. What a treasure! I noticed right away in the first one that there was a Fender silverface behind Lloyd, but I didn't see him actually plugged into it until episode 4 (linked below). Can't really see whether it is a Deluxe or something else (Vibrolux, Pro, etc.), but certainly a model without a mid control (only three knobs on channel 1). But there is an extra knob where the second input would be on the reverb channel.

Might that be a midrange control added to the tone stack? And this may be common-knowledge that I lack, but is that something Lloyd is known to have on his amp? I have been thinking of doing something like this on my DRRI. I am sure that if I can just have an amp that looks like his I will be able to play and sound exactly like him!!

Here's a screen shot of the amp behind him from the first installment:

And here is a link to the second installment where he appears to be playing through the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dnjEGqtis

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 2 Aug 2021 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 9:14 am    

Last time I talked to Lloyd, he told me he’s gone back to his Session 400 for live work and uses his 12” Telonics amp for studio work. For the longest time he used a Blackface twin in split cabs but it was too heavy for him anymore. My guess is that this video was recorded in PF’s personal studio and I don’t believe That Deluxe Reverb is his, but I could be wrong. Whatever he plugs into, it will sound 6 million times better than it actually is. The tone is in his hands.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 10:22 am    

I think I can see Vibrolux stamped on the face of that amp. I don't know if he owns that or it's a studio piece.

I do know that he played a Hot Rod Deluxe at one time.

This is a quote from way back in 2004. So I have no idea how many changes since.

quote:
"With the exception of "Revisited" (on which I used the Hot Rod Deluxe) every single recording I have played on since my return to sessions is that original Black Face Fender Twin Head and 15" D-130F JBL speaker, along with the trusty old Sho-Bud."
Lloyd Green
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 11:01 am    

I can't see the Vibrolux, but I believe it Jerry (just as likely as a Deluxe anyway). And it seems pretty clear it wouldn't be Lloyd's from the useful history you guys are contributing.

Let me pivot then and ask whether anyone has done this to a Fender tube amp that lacks a mid-range. I remember reading posts about the possibility of doing this, but I don't recall whether anyone here on the Forum has. I got to thinking about it after inquiring about the new Pro Reverb Custom with my friend the music store owner, who suggested I might just want to mod my Deluxe. I probably would not take the bigger steps he suggested (solid-state rectifier, new output transformer, 6L6 power tubes) because they would be harder to undo should I decide to sell the amp down the road. But a mid control in an input jack seems on the face of it to be a) useful without drastically altering the basic sound of the amp, and b) more easily undone.

Thoughts?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 11:06 am    

A number of years ago I started doing stuff to my Fender amps simply because...I could. Sort of. I had a soldering iron and a video tape. I was dangerous.
I bought a totally hacked Deluxe Reverb chassis. I found a mod, online, to add a mid control and I decided that I needed it. I put the pot in the ext. speaker jack in back. It worked. A little noisy but not bad. Out of curiosity, I dialed in the sound I wanted and took a meter to the mid pot (I think the leads were only clipped on, not soldered in yet). Turned out, the pot was dialed in to nearly exactly the value of the fixed resistor that it had replaced. I thought that was pretty funny.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 11:15 am    

Haha! Good cautionary tale, Jon.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:09 pm     Re: Lloyd Green's (?) Deluxe Reverb

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
I've started watching this series of seven Paul Franklin interview sessions with Lloyd Green. What a treasure! I noticed right away in the first one that there was a Fender silverface behind Lloyd, but I didn't see him actually plugged into it until episode 4 (linked below). Can't really see whether it is a Deluxe or something else (Vibrolux, Pro, etc.), but certainly a model without a mid control (only three knobs on channel 1). But there is an extra knob where the second input would be on the reverb channel.

Might that be a midrange control added to the tone stack? And this may be common-knowledge that I lack, but is that something Lloyd is known to have on his amp? I have been thinking of doing something like this on my DRRI. I am sure that if I can just have an amp that looks like his I will be able to play and sound exactly like him!!

Here's a screen shot of the amp behind him from the first installment:

And here is a link to the second installment where he appears to be playing through the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dnjEGqtis

To test your theory, glue a knob over that second input jack and see if it makes a difference. 🤔 Sorry, I'll go back to my room now.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:15 pm    

I might just try that!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:33 pm    

FWIW, it's not a Deluxe Reverb as it's got a bright switch. Probably a Vibrolux Reverb. I've seen folks add either a Mid or a Presence / variable negative feedback in that manner.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 12:56 pm    

I've seen mid controls added to the rear of Fender amps, but you could mount one just about anywhere you wanted if you didn't mind drilling the chassis. I drilled the back of my Twin and added a switch that reduces the amount of negative feedback. I did that back in the mid '60s to get that crazy jangly-trebly sound that Roger McGuinn had with his 12-string Rickenbacker. Mr. Green
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 1:08 pm    

https://youtu.be/t7dnjEGqtis?t=91
I saw the amp face watching the video link. It's behind Lloyd's waist at about 1:37. On subsequent views, I think it might be Vibrosonic rather than Vibrolux for what ever that might be worth.
Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 8:28 am    

I built a Princeton Reverb clone that I subsequently modded to add a midrange control (but a high value pot that goes beyond the range of the mid in the typical blackpanel tonestack), a 3-way variable NFB switch, and grid stoppers on the phase inverter and output tubes. These mods add a tweed-like breakup tone that I prefer to the stock circuit when cranked.

I haven't used it much for pedal steel, but if I were building a blackpanel-based head for pedal steel I'd likely add a mid control, and likely a higher value than the stock Fender value for more flexibility.