| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  expanding foam for perfect fit in flight case
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 9:51 am    

I want to build up padding in an SKB ATA trap case to house my steel for air travel, and hauling in general.

I did this for a different steel using good quality foam that I hand fitted. It was ok but hard to do.

I was thinking I could wrap the steel in good plastic sheeting to protect it, and use expanding construction foam to provide a perfect fit. Then, I could line it with a soft cloth for contact with the instrument.

I wonder how the shock absorbing of expanding foam compares to proper packing case foam. Maybe it will end up too hard.

I just wonder if others here have tried this.[/img]

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 11:16 am    

I have the exact same case Lynn, it's a wonderful and light case, i ended up going to walmart and buying foam, then i glued it in with 3m general automotive trim adhesive. Cut the foam high until it dries as the foam shrinks some, then cut the edges 24 hours later.

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 12:14 pm    

I worked at a place dealing in very expensive aircraft guidance electronic equipment. The 2 part commercial packaging system worked like you describe. It might take you several times to finally get it right, but I do think it would be worth trying.

I suggest lining the bottom of the case with the sheeting to keep the foam from sticking to the case, give a good squirt of foam, fold the sheet over and squish the guitar down in the foam. Let it set up and repeat the process for the top of the case. If it doesn't seem right just take it out and try again.

The home use expanding foam does set up pretty hard, I would try it.
Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 2:20 pm    

Just be careful not to get it on the finish. Also,make sure the foam and whatever glue you use on the lining have completely gassed off before storing the guitar in the case.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:13 pm    

Yes, what Bobby said! Leave the plastic sheeting forever and put some sort of nice cloth in also. If it's a lacquer guitar it may not be a good idea at all because of the off gassing Bobby mentions. I doubt it would bother laminate. They make nice rigid foam guitar cases but that is likely completely different stuff.
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 3:20 pm    

Expanding foam in the proper amount can work great, but it's easy to overdo it and the foam can expand to crush whatever's in it. Be careful!

Dave
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2021 4:52 pm    

It is an S10 Jackson Pro V aluminum. The finish is not mica, but a vinyl wrap.

So- the question is whether to use big gap filler, or medium, or window filler (minimum expansion). Probably the bigger question is how much to apply.

And, assuming I do it in two steps (bottom, then top), how to keep it from raising the steel up from where I want it as it cures.

Maybe I could fashion wood blocks to keep it the proper distance from the top when closed. Apply the foam, insert plastic sheet, lay in steel (wrapped in another layer of plastic), lay on wood blocks, shut case. Problem is if I have too much, it could bow out the case.

Maybe the medium or minimal expansion stuff is the way to go.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 6:45 am     expanding foam

I like the looks of that case. Where can it be purchased and approx. what is the weight. My Emmons case weighs 19.2 lbs. and my Rittenberry case weighs 21.2 lbs. A lighter case would be great.
Dick

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 7:40 am     Re: expanding foam

Richard Stoops wrote:
I like the looks of that case. Where can it be purchased and approx. what is the weight. My Emmons case weighs 19.2 lbs. and my Rittenberry case weighs 21.2 lbs. A lighter case would be great.
Dick

I have one and it weighs about 13lb, although the spec sheet says 15.

I am able to fit a D10 Emmons SKH in there with careful padding. A longer Emmons D10 wouldn't work because the interior wheels get in the way.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/287804-REG/SKB_1SKB_H3611_Trap_ATA_Stand.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=CjwKCAjwi9-HBhACEiwAPzUhHENcBjfb1ol_mq5bmHxMvRgcpiTq-F-sRjFryQy7vKQcnOho_yVwbBoC7mkQAvD_BwE