| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Very Old Edwards Pedal
Alan Watt

Graton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 10:46 am    

I know there's been some posts before about these pedals, but mine seems older than others I've seen, and has an interesting story behind it:
In the late 70s, I played in a band with Tiff Garcia, Jerry's older brother. At one point, rehearsal moved to Mickey Hart's "Rolling Thunder" barn, where both the bass player Larry and I did various tasks for Mickey(including engineering on recordings).
One day Mickey comes in, hands a box of various guitar pedals to Larry, and says, "This is a bunch of junk Jerry left here that he doesn't want. Give it to someone in Tiff's band." Funny thing was, I was standing right there, and Mickey knew I played with Tiff.
There was some distortion pedal in pieces that I still have, but also this Edwards. I used it with my Bakelite Richenbacher lap steel I own, and so it was a natural choice when I bought my pedal steel.
By itself, it is muddy as hell, but the Roland tuner I use acts as a buffer amp (somehow), and so tone is good/acceptable. It is a bit high in height, and the pedal travel is something to learn and get used to.
I've recently bought a Goodrich 6122R; waiting for delivery on that and will A/B them to see which I like better. But I'll always hold onto the Edwards; it's a brick that's almost indestructible, not to mention a good story.
Sorry about the sideways pics; that's how they loaded onto the site.

Jeremy Reeves

Chatham, IL, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 11:37 am    

cool! I'd like to see the distortion pieces too
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 2:49 pm    

Looks like it does tone as well as volume. If it is V+T, do both functions work?
Alan Watt

Graton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 6:32 pm    

[quote="Dave Hopping"]Looks like it does tone as well as volume. If it is V+T, do both functions work?[/quote

It does; I disabled the tone, so that it wouldn't complicate whatever I was putting thru it.
Alan Watt

Graton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 6:33 pm    

Jeremy Reeves wrote:
cool! I'd like to see the distortion pieces too

maybe I can dig it out; I never put it together or used it. I'm trying to remember the brand; it had three knobs, I think.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 6:15 am    

I've no idea of production numbers but I've only seen one other Edwards volume and tone pedal, so they must be extremely rare. That one was gifted to me a few years ago in non-working condition, and having it fixed has been in my inbox for awhile now. I have 4 other Edwards pedals, all volume-only.

Wonder if Garcia used Alan's pedal on Dead/NRPS stuff we've heard.....
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 10:32 am    

I had one of these (V & T) back in the 70's - 80's. It served a purpose but was a tone sucker. I disconnected the tone function. The tone circuit couldn't help it. As soon as I could afford it, I got a Goodrich pot pedal. I believe I chucked the Edwards into the trash.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.