| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Better sound on the PSG.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 11:28 am    

This may help someone with a used PSG, but I just wanted to share some experiences with my Dekley. I bought this used, over EBAY, no experience with PSG beforehand, I just wanted "in".

6 months after I bought the unit, I noticed that the tuning head was floating about 1/16 above the body. This was not the original tuner (probably a JCL tuner) and from what I understand, he did this to increase the inter-string spacing. Anyway, looking at the setup, I saw that he also did this to keep the tuning head strings level with the fretboard. I purchased a 1/16 piece of stainless steel and mounted it under the tuner, mounting the tuner firmly to the body. Hey! It sounded better!

There was an article about loose/tight fretboard, suggesting a loose fretboard would increase sustain. I loosened the fretboard, and yes, more sustain and hey! It sounded better!

I have have had the Dekley for almost 8 years, and decided to clean and oil the changer. I was afraid that the screws holding the changer were stuck and would break when trying to remove them. That's why I took so long to do this. However, the screws came out without too much trouble, in fact some were loose. After cleaning/oiling, it was reassembled with the changer firmly screwed to the body. Hey! It sounded better!

This is not a whole lot of info, but I learned on my own, what helps, as far as the sound goes (to loosen this/tighten that). Plus, the better sound builds up my desire to continue learning, and I wanted to share this with others what may help with their unit, too.

Full speed ahead! Warp 3, Engage!........Pat
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 4:34 pm    

It would have been nice if you had done a recording comparison, so you (and we) could hear the differences. I say this because we sometimes notice changes when there really aren't any. For example, when I was younger, I always felt my car was a little faster and rode better after I had washed and waxed it. Senses get intermingled, and opinions can change after something unrelated to the problem area is done.

But if it made you happy, that's all that counts! Mr. Green
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 11:32 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I always felt my car was a little faster and rode better after I had washed and waxed it

Mine too! And all squeaks and rattles go away as well. Until it gets dirty again. Laughing
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 1:12 am    

I don't know about the fretboard, but certainly loose suspension points allow the vibrational (kinetic) energy in the string to be dissipated in the joints instead of the air, thus reducing sustain. Tight is right.

I haven't tried washing and waxing yet.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 4:46 am    

If I wash and wax my steel it looks better but sounds the same. Lol. I agree with Donny that our perception may be influenced by the anticipated outcome. All too often I make changes then wish I had recorded them for comparison. Either way I respect the improvements he made and no doubt it is more solid and improved it's playability. Some parts need to be secure and solid unless they are designed to move.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 6:57 am    

I did an experiment several years ago with my 1976 MSA wood neck vs Zum aluminum neck. I tightened the neck screws on the Zum aluminum neck and the sustain dropped off. Loosened them to barely snug and much better sustain. I did the same experiment with the MSA wood neck and found the opposite to be true. Tightened the neck screws and had much better sustain. Loosened the neck screws and less sustain. The inspiration to do this was Buddy Emmons experiment with his aluminum neck. What surprised me was the opposite being true with the wooden neck. I didn't hear any difference in tone with either neck being tightened or loosened. Only sustain.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 10:51 am    

Yes, Donny, you are right in that it is subjective, and recording it would have been good, had I thought of it then.... However, as Larry brought out, some of the parts need to be tight, such as the tuner and changer, because when parts are loose and vibrate with the strings, the sustain and tone would be dampened.

As far as the fretboard, I tested that with a timer and my ears (ears subjective, timer not) as to how long the sustain would last until I couldn't hear it anymore. Loosening the fretboard increased sustain time, and in that, it "sounded better".

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this, because in beginning PSG, I did not how it was supposed to sound, nor any tricks in repair. For those who are beginning, hope this helps.

For the picture inserted, That's what it looks like, a frankensteel, but it worked. Thanks folks, for the comments....Pat.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 4:54 pm    

Pat, I love technical details and human ingenuity. You did what many of the pioneers done by finding and fixing a problem. This is why so many of the builders have a different take on the mechanism. You can dress up the work on the next build. Congratulations on your efforts.