| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for extra large thumbpicks
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 11:04 am    

I have very large thumbs. I can not find any thumbpicks that really work for me.

I have one old recording king xl that fits me perfect. The Dunlop XL sort of fits. Besides that I can find nothing at all.

I would appreciate any leads or ideas.
Patrick Edwards

Port Orchard, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 12:11 pm     Large thumb pick

I have these thumbpicks made by Jeffran music that might work for you.The size can be adjusted using a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the plastic to bend to desired shape.These two are too big for me. PM me if interested.
Patrick
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 7:09 pm    

You can take a lot of plastic thumbpicks and hold them at the bend with needlenose pliers under hot water tap and apply pressure to open up the band. I like American Made Banjo company's clown barf picks.

I also have this sterlin pick from Ron Landis which could probably be expanded to fit on your wrist if necess. https://www.landisstudios.net/product-page/accu-pick-snakeskin
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 3:21 am    

I'm a fan of "Golden Gate" thumb picks, especially the model that has the jog in the wrap around part. This helps to keep it from rotating while playing and, prevents it from digging into the top of your thumb. They are pearloid and extra thick.
Reverb has the best price:
https://reverb.com/item/37633191-golden-gate-gp-8-large-extra-thick-pearloid-thumb-pick-each
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 3:28 am    

Here's a photo of the Golden Gate GP-8 Extra large.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 9:25 am    

As long as it's a plastic pick, try putting the pick onto a wooden spoon handle. Pop the handle into a pan of boiling water. stretch, adjust, find a fit. Or...
Pro-pick speed pick - metal 'grip' with a plastic pick. The metal adjusts and has been very solid in my experience.
Experiment - picks are cheap!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Matthew Dyer

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 3:52 pm    

I had this issue and struggled with it for the first few years I played. The Golden Gate XLs fit, but they really are gigantic. It felt like playing with an airplane wing on my thumb in comparison to the Fred Kelly slick picks I started with. But the Fred Kellys turned my thumb purple after 30 minutes of use, even after adjusting and remolding with hot water several times.

I've ended up going with https://blackmountainpicks.com. They're spring loaded, so they fit just right for my thumbs, are a little but easier to play with than the Golden Gates I was using before, and let me switch up my grip and alternate pick for a David Gilmour style if I'm in the mood for that.
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 5:18 pm     Blackmontain picks

Matthew Dyer wrote:
I've ended up going with https://blackmountainpicks.com. They're spring loaded, so they fit just right for my thumbs

This looks like a possibility for me. I ordered a sampler set from black mountain.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. A lot of great ideas.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 5:40 pm    

Steven, those Black Mountain picks are quite an innovation, but if the spring isn't strong, seems like it could fly off. Don't get a thumbpick that's super thick, if you can help it. That slows down the pick being propelled off strings at the end of a picking stroke. I know speed isn't any kind of goal or concern in your playing at this point, just saying. Blue Hercos are the best at flying off of strings. But they're only one size...
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2021 3:18 am    

Golden Gate.