| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help identify old steel
Smokey Fennell

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 11:19 am    

Can anyone tell me about this steel a friend bought recently. These name on the front says ESTATE. Is it a one off home made or was it production?
Any ideas on what those white buttons were for?
Does anyone have ideas for making it playable again?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 12:12 pm    

Looks homemade to me. Looks like paper clips were used to connect the rods (and cables?) to the changer fingers. Confused
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Smokey Fennell

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 12:15 pm    

I think somebody replaced original parts with any odd thing lying around. The cable pull looks original to me.I'm not sure about the paper clips. They may have been special order.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 12:24 pm    

looks like it's meant to be a lefty, but set up backwards in the pics. Pedal cranks are on the back apron (but so is the knee lever)

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 1:46 pm    

Looks like a Frankensteel to me. Whoa!
Erv
Smokey Fennell

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 2:38 pm    

It absolutely is a Frankensteel. A friend bought it and wants to make a project of getting it working again.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 5:28 pm    

I see one part that you would find on a Roberts the crank near the changer, but that is it. I cannot recall what Roberts fingers looked like. I thing the rod hooks come from the pedal steels made by Office Depot.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 8:21 pm    

I remember seeing a Lawn Mower/Small Tractor with a model name of ESTATE. Not sure if it was in the USA or Canada. The name plate looks familiar.

For the 3 white buttons I would guess from the wiring in the photo. The pickup has been tapped for 3 different OHM resistances for the pickup. By pushing each button down in some order would change the tone of the pickup.
If you could hook the amp, jack to a Multi/OHM meter may show resistance changes by pushing the buttons on and off, 1 2 or all 3 at once. Just a guess.
Ron Carter

New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 9:24 pm    

The basics are there ,just needs a few radical modifications and a ton of patience. ok to learn on perhaps. a spare time mission
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 4:24 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
looks like it's meant to be a lefty, but set up backwards in the pics. Pedal cranks are on the back apron (but so is the knee lever)

Ian,
It could possibly be a special pedal setup for someone right handed but had a leg disability of some sort necessitating shifting the pedals off center like that. I remember Jim Lindsey had wanted something similar after he had his stroke
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!