| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro support
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 2:34 pm    

I can't find it now, but somewhere, perhaps Ebay, I saw advertised a shaped block made to fit between one's leg and the neck of a dobro. This allows the dobro to be held level with both feet flat on the floor. Does anyone know of such a device? Does anyone use one? Is there any good reason not to use such a thing?

--Chase
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 7:38 pm    

Chase you might be talking about "Lap Pal". It's listed in SGF new products info.
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 7:51 pm    

Joe Breeden wrote:
Chase you might be talking about "Lap Pal". It's listed in SGF new products info.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=361509&sid=e1ade11fcbae500186ea59c22dde75f2
Dan Koncelik

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 5:06 am    

Chase,

I was wondering the same thing when I converted an old Taylor acoustic into my first lap steel. The pile of towels I used to stabilize the space between the neck and my left knee kept leaning over and would eventually fall off onto the floor. Also, it would impede the movement of my left arm. Frustrating and not very comfortable or stable!

Then, I saw this video of Ben Harper playing his excellent 'Winter Is For Lovers' live:

https://youtu.be/o-4yRmtIHbs

Immediately I noticed the support between his left knee and the guitar neck. Then I searched here on the forum and on the internet, ebay, reverb, etc, for such an accessory. Surely there had to be one, right? If I could only figure out what to call it: is it a knee support? Neck support? My search results included a lot of physical therapy and rehab equipment... Razz

After a closer viewing of the video and a fruitless internet search, I realized that his guitar is luthier-built and the support wasn't an accessory but was a part of the design.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I invented slightly and crudely, but effectively. Here's a picture of my 'cobbler's solution':

It's a hunk of 2X4, about 10 mins on a belt sander and two squares of Dual Lock Velcro (hard, not the soft kind). Not pretty but it works!

Hope this helps you...
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 6:33 am    

Jeremy King's "lap pal" is what I saw. I just messaged him. Thanks!
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 7:02 am    

If you can’t accomplish the leg posture you want by angling your legs to accommodate the guitar on your lap, you can always use something like a small piece of 2 X 4 to set your left foot on. And then you have a multi-useful thing to chock your truck, shim your amp, or throw at the audience Laughing
Or the drummer Laughing

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 9:54 am    

Brooks Laughing Laughing
Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 11:22 am    

Check out the Monteleone acoustic archtop "lap steel" guitar in this month's Fretboard Journal. It has a leg block under the neck. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/fretboard-journal-47-whats-inside/
David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 10:59 am    

Brian Evans wrote:
Check out the Monteleone acoustic archtop "lap steel" guitar in this month's Fretboard Journal. It has a leg block under the neck. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/fretboard-journal-47-whats-inside/

Anyone want to guess the price of a custom Monteleone?

I'll say it's north of $50K Whoa!
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 1:08 pm    

David Gertschen wrote:
Brian Evans wrote:

Anyone want to guess the price of a custom Monteleone?

I'll say it's north of $50K Whoa!

Does that include the "tophat" leg brace Confused

Monteleone's stuff is top shelf. If you got the deep pockets, go for the waiting list!

Dave