| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice amps/Power?
Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 6:03 am    

Lots of discussion about what amp to use for practice...not seen any talk about power. Not output power but how much power is pulled out of the wall. Most spend many hours practicing and electricity is not getting any cheaper. How much power an amp draws is worth consideration. For instance, I use a Fender 25R as a practice amp. It has 25 watts output, headphone jack, an input for CD player etc. and only draws 75 watts out of the wall. Its like using a 75w light bulb reading lamp. I paid about 80 bucks for it new at GC. It's plenty loud in the bedroom to practice with and can be silent when I want it to. Now my other amps can be a different story. Fender Princeton uses 125w, not too bad for practice also. Nashville 112 although it has headphone jack and a CD input uses 200w...more than doubles the electricity expense. I have a new Fender TM Twin, what a great amp...but at 450w power demand not a practice amp for me. (a heat lamp comes t mind) Kinda explains why it doesn't come with a headphone jack. Just a thought to consider. I save the big dogs for playing out where someone else is paying for the juice.MD
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 11:53 pm    

As only true 'class A' amps draw full power (as stated in manuals etc.) continuosly from the mains outlet they happen to be connected to, I would not worry about those "power consumption" numbers unless one has a habit of practicing at full power, without breaks and silent parts, at home.

In practice (!) all amps used by musicians, on stage or at home, draw very little power most of the time, no matter what their "power consumption" numbers say, as those are "max/peak consumption" numbers (or "don't risk blowing fuses" numbers), not "average consumption" numbers.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 1:01 am    

Is this why Buddy Emmons practised in the dark?
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 4:47 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Is this why Buddy Emmons practised in the dark?
At least he saved some that way, regardless of "power consumption" numbers and sustained notes.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 5:00 am     Practice amps/power

My practice amp is large and heavy. That's why it's my practice amp. I can't lift it to take out on a gig. I've always said a Session 500 is a great practice amp because you're never going to be able to move it. For me, it's lightweight gear for gigs and heavy for practice. I want the best sound I can get for practice.
Carl Gallagher

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 5:04 am    

I think if you are concerned about the cost of powering a practice amp, maybe just practice acoustically.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 12:08 pm    

Whatever you manage to save while you're practising will be wiped out when you make coffee.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 10:30 pm    

or maybe turn off the refrigerator while practicing Question

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website