| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tricone opinions please
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 8:42 am    

With prices for vintage Nationals getting higher every day, do you have any opinions on the various budget Asian reissue Tricone options from Recording King, Republic, etc. How do they stack up to the amazing, sweet tone of a properly set-up original? Have you found a cone upgrade to be worth the investment in these budget models? I would have to sell something really nice to get an original and am not sure it's worth it to me to do so. Thanks.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 15 Mar 2021 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik Alderink

Ann Arbor Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 9:09 am    

I went through 5 roundneck tricones in the last year ranging from about $600-$5000. The top of the heap price wise and overall sound wise was the NRP in German silver. It had the most complex voice, the best sustain and "reverb" and was a joy to play, most of the time. It also was extremely prone to rattles and buzzes, and was very temperamental in regards to tuning. The tuners would creak and pop and were difficult to use in a way I've never had on any other instrument. It wasn't the nut, but the tuners themselves. In the end after lots of work from my luthier, I moved it on and the new owner loves it.

Of all the bargain guitars that I tried, only one stayed and that was the Royall Trifecta with the pickup. It's not as bright or complex as the NRP, but it is actually a little bit louder, and punchier with the biggest bass of any resonator guitar I've ever played. I tried putting NRP cones and a bridge into it at one point and it never got any "better" sounding, just slightly less bass and volume. The only mod that I did was to remove the heavy powdercoat like finish on the T bridge. This made it even louder and more "alive" feeling. I did have to work out the break angle of the strings as it came with way too much down-pressure which seriously choked the thing out. A little bit of effort and I got it playing and sounding the way I wanted. The electric sound is not a representation of a resonator, and sounds more like an old archtop with a CC pickup or the like. I have played it as a lap with a nut riser and it sounds very nice and warm, but not as clear as some might like. If I wasn't playing it side by side with a $5k NRP though, I probably wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Most if not all of the import guitars had similar fit and finish. I just liked the sound and feel of the Royall the best. I like it even better than the 2 lower end NRPs that I tried as well, a polychrome and a triolian.

I will say that you will likely be able to scratch the itch with any one of the lower end guitars provided that you take the time to set it up properly and break it in. If you decide that you must have that name, a vintage Tricone can actually be a relative bargain especially a squareneck.

Good luck with the search!
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 12:55 pm    

I've had several old National tricones, both round and square neck. I still have one--a very early first-year-handmade one with soldered strips and a wooden soundwell. It's my favorite that I've had, but sounds quite a bit different from the later factory models.

I have a Continental round neck with Continental cones too. I've played some of the Johnsons and Republics. I own a couple of single cone Republics.

The biggest difference in tone between all of the guitars (except the early one) seems to be hollow square neck vs. round neck. Using metal bodies, the Dopyeras were trying to minimize the resonance of the body and focus more on the sound of the cones. Just like with Dobros, the bridge (or spider) and the cone makes a big difference in the tone.

The Republics I have are well made guitars and sound good. They have Continental cones, which are also good from my experience. Not as good as the NRP ones though. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the Asian tricones and consider upgrading the cones and T bridge to NRP if it doesn't suit you out of the box. They don't sound quite the same as the old hollow neck Nationals, but they're really very close. If you find out that you like it, but want an old one, maybe prices will have come down by then!

Dave
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 1:22 pm    

I have a Republic tri-cone that I like. Very Happy
Erv
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 2:16 pm    

You might consider a custom Ben Bonham tricone - he is surprisingly still priced WAY below Nationals, by more than a lot (like half), and I'd say they are a great bargain......he is still getting "discovered" even though he's been doing this for quite some time, he is very low-key..worth a chat to check out...
I wanted the form factor of the National, and National cones, but with a touch of warmth from wood.
He built mine from myrtle (the mainland version of koa, sort of) and rosewood, with a handmade rope binding. It even has a hollow neck. I've owned a number of Nationals, and this has exactly that vibe/resonance, with a touch of wood...it even fits exactly into a National hard case...note that in the pic, the space left at the bottom of the neck, which he usually does something pretty to, was left open for a Krivo Reso pickup...
Check out his Instagram album for ideas of the kind of stuff he does...and he is happy to chat with folks about anything...options, woods, etc....or just about resos in general... bensound@gorge.net...(541) 490-5447
https://www.instagram.com/bonhamdesign/

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 15 Mar 2021 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 2:27 pm    

Nice
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 3:58 pm    

I at first bought a Republic tricone and really liked it. I never thought I'd get rid of it, but one day a used 2005 National tricone came up at a local shop, and I sold the Republic to buy the National. If I was a rich man I would have kept them both, because I still think that Republic is a great tricone.

Here are a couple track I recorded with my band using the Republic. (Not pushing any sales, it's the only link I have.)

https://glowfills.bandcamp.com/track/beat-that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWNIMLZAzc
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 5:39 pm    

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Any experience with this brand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royall-Triplex-Maple-Body-Squareneck-Tricone-Resonator-/113996862985

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 6:39 am    

I'm following with interest, tricones sound so awesome. I had a Recording King, and it was nice, I sold it, and ended up getting a Republic, which sounded a little better in my opinion. I've never played a National, but the consensus seems to be that the chasm between the 6 and 700 gutars and the 2500 guitar is just a no-mans land of small luthers, and dumb luck.

I am curious about the wood bodied tricones as well, do they exhibit the tone of the metal bodies? Is the tone coming out of the cone more than the bodies? I've never been a true believer of wood making that much tonal difference in general for necks and fingerboards, but am open to the concept.
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 10:34 am    

The best Tricone i ever played was a mid '30s Style 2 i think, it had roses on it, at a SF guitar show in the '90s. It was around $2000.00 at the time and wayyy out of my price range, i ended up with a OMI Hound dog for around $600.00 and was very happy with it until i got a '36 Duolian. That Tricone still haunts me! If you can swing a real old hollow neck Tricone at all, do it, nothing compares....nothing.
I do own a Republic Tri and its a very nice guitar but its not even close to "The one". I purposely bought a round neck with the intention of someday buying an old square neck.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 12:31 pm    

I've owned two spectacular and fairly pricey Carol Benoit resophonics and currently, I have a Gretsch that cost me $less than $300. In all honesty, putting visual aesthetics aside, I get about 80% of the happy feeling I got playing and hearing the Benoits from this budget reso at a fraction of the price. I realize this is unusual and I suspect only a vintage National would do. I would advise my custom shop Martin not to get too comfortable there in the guitar closet.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 16 Mar 2021 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 12:40 pm    

I am also very interested in this topic Andy. I dont think I have ever seen a Tricone square neck in the real world. Sebastian, Paolo and Pascal from continental Europe all have original Nationals and from what I can gather they all say they are so much sweeter than modern imports. I, like you cant really justify buying any National, new or original so an inexpensive Chinese import is the only answer.......... but which one. I live in the UK and nobody has bought more musical instrument duds than I have Oh Well ! It would be nice to find a reasonable instrument at a reasonable price!
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 8:47 am    

Mike A Holland wrote:
I am also very interested in this topic Andy. I dont think I have ever seen a Tricone square neck in the real world. Sebastian, Paolo and Pascal from continental Europe all have original Nationals and from what I can gather they all say they are so much sweeter than modern imports. I, like you cant really justify buying any National, new or original so an inexpensive Chinese import is the only answer.......... but which one. I live in the UK and nobody has bought more musical instrument duds than I have Oh Well ! It would be nice to find a reasonable instrument at a reasonable price!

Part of it may be that the new ones are all made of brass, the old ones were German Silver which i understand is kinda like pewter.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 9:23 am    

I'm happy with my Republic tricone, which I keep in a somewhat unorthodox (for a tricone) C6. But as a caveat to that, if me and some of the aforementioned players swapped instruments, with me on their old National and them on the Republic, I have a feeling everyone might be thinking, hey that Chinese import doesn't sound so bad! I guess I mean to say, I'm reasonably confident that a vintage national would yet be wasted on me. Would be nice to hear a top tier player sit down with a set of instruments, mic'ed similarly, for a more fair comparison.

Steve, I've seen that Bonham wood tricone before and each time...wow! Love it!
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 9:44 am    

That Bonham beautiful tri-cone reminds me of the “rarest of all tri-cones”, the Scheerhorn.
It’s been posted here I believe before, but it’s worth drooling over again:
https://youtu.be/jucCvtcmrV8

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 12:50 pm    

I remember that one. Randy is a great player but he attacks it like a single cone and that's the way it sounds, at least through computer speakers.

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 12:56 pm    

Andy, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tim Scheerhorn built that Tricone with the goal of trying to make it honk loud like a cone with spider.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 1:33 pm    

Probably so, Brooks. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to tune the three cones in a Tricone to vibrate in harmonized pitches?

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 4:19 pm     amistar tricote

I have Czech Tricone made by Amistar. It's a round neck and seems to be well made with Grover tuners. In this video I am doing the lead. The singer is playing rhythm on some other brand of Tricone. I got it new from Ebay 6 or 7 years ago for $1000.00

https://youtu.be/25eTdqtpeQ0
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 5:19 am    

Like many contributors to this thread, I am also following it for ideas. To quote Mike Holland:
Quote:
I dont think I have ever seen a Tricone square neck in the real world

Out of curiosity I looked to see what Thomann, Germany's main on-line music store, has to offer - yep, all their Squarenecks are standard wooden body resonators. However I did notice a new name (at least for me) in the metal body tricones list - Paramount. It is a round neck and I cannot find anything about the brand (I was hoping a Square neck would be in the inventory). But is a around $1k and if the sound examples are to be believed, it can support an A tuning.

I modified the link to US English if anyone is interested: https://www.thomannmusic.com/paramount_tricone_1933_brushed_nickel.htm

But living in Germany, I simply have no experience to differentiate the tone of a wooden body "biscuit" vs. a metal Tricone - or even what defines a tone as good, average or rubbish. For that reason I parked the idea of buying any kind of resonator long ago!

\paul
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 5:54 am    

About ten years ago I was in Sydney, Australia in a high-end music shop. They had a great-sounding style 2 squareneck. It was about 5k in US dollars. My credit card was inching its way out of my wallet when my wife brought me back to reality.

I have a koa Bear Creek and a maple Asher Weissenborn and they have sustained my acoustic jones for a long, long time. But lately, I sure feel the pull of the Tricone, though I have little interest in playing 20s Hawaiian music on it. I love folk, jazz and Spanish sounding stuff on a Tricone - like this guys's playing around 1:45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t487AfeKg1A

I appreciate all the sharing here. This thread is making me lust after one of these even more.

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 3:12 pm    

Meanwhile up here in Onario, a baritone tricone has come up for sale. I have nothing invested in this, but did ask a few questions. It's the photo with the white head and is about 10 years old.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/hamilton/3-national-m1-resonator-guitars/1556007408
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 3:19 pm    

I hear ya' Andy! I love the tone of tricones and have been recently looking for a decent import. I DO want to play Hawaiian music from the 1920s! Very Happy
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 8:18 pm    

I actually owned one of the 3 Scheerhorn tricones briefly...and then I realized that I'd never be able to take it to another gig, after being so nervous at the first one. Sold it and bought one of the 2 National Scheerhorn Tricones...sold that and had Ben Bonham build me one for less than the Nati-horn and WAY less than the Tim Scheerhorn, and I'm absolutely happy with the sound.
The Tim Scheerhorn was a much deeper body, so had more low end, but the Bonham really captures the feel of the old metal Nationals, with the same dimensions...and is probably even more resonant than the Tim Scheerhorn, with the hollow neck...
I also had a National M1 tricone for a while, but it sounded very sterile...didn't keep it long.
Thanks to bill McCloskey for giving me the tricone bug real bad... and selling me one...a metal old Style 1...it was grand, but I just chased that wood tone vibe until I found the Bonham...
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 8:43 pm    

You have inspired me to build a hollow neck Tricone
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone