Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 9:32 am    

It's the single body S-10. Smile

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 9:43 am    

Pretty steel, Doug - congratulations!

(I'm so used to your normal "abnormal" photo posts, at first I was looking in the background for something bizarre to be going on that needed a caption!)
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 9:48 am    

Ha! No captions needed here, Jeff. I think I'm gonna like this guitar. I unpacked it yesterday and played it for three hours! That hasn't happened in a while.
David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 9:53 am    

Congratulations Doug it sure is pretty...waiting now to hear it ...David... Smile
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 11:28 am    

I had a friend's G2 at my house for a few days and simply put, it had the best pedal feel I have ever played. Light, positive, smooth. It played like a dream.
Congrats, Doug!
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 12:20 pm    

Beautiful! Which mica pattern is that?

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 1:58 pm    

That’s a great looking guitar! I was similarly excited when I got my G2 and it exceeded my expectations. Congrats!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 3:29 pm    

Thanks, all. The mica is Northern Birdseye. Mullen has a lot of mica samples on their website. I tend to go for a plain and simple look on a guitar, so I ordered this without inlays or multi-color mica patterns.

The guitar plays incredibly smooth and accurate. After many years of playing Emmons push/pulls I have to change my approach a bit though. The pedals on push/pulls are much stiffer than modern pedal steels. So I would often rest my left foot lightly on pedals A & B, and press as needed. With this guitar I can't do that because the pedals activate with the lightest touch of the foot. I guess most modern PSGs do that.
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 4:29 pm    

Woohoo! Nothing like getting a beautiful new Mullen! Have fun , Doug, and don't forget to post some of your great playing on it.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 5:37 pm    

Love that single body...something fairly new for Mullen pro guitars.

Would like to have a U12 on the single body.

Congrats on the new horn. Pretty.
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 6:01 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Thanks, all. The mica is Northern Birdseye. Mullen has a lot of mica samples on their website. I tend to go for a plain and simple look on a guitar, so I ordered this without inlays or multi-color mica patterns.

Good mica choice...looks very clean. My SD12 G2 is my forever pedal steel, plays like a dream and is super easy to work on. Enjoy Winking

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 6:37 pm    

Wow, one fine pedal steel. I still play my pre RP from 94. Mullen is a wonderful precision steel. Enjoy your new steel.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 12:55 am    

Doug,Congratulations!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 2:47 am    

The big question Doug. How does the Mullen compare with your Emmons tonally?
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 6:02 am    

Looks beautiful, Doug. Blondish mica is lovely.

But will you still be able to stand up and play it--as I have seen you do before?

Chris
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 6:29 am    

Wow....beautiful....I have been playing a Discovery for the past six years. I love the ease of playing, tone and accuracy of this guitar. I may have to check these out.

Is this the only major mfr that is now making a true S10?
D10's and SD10's are flying off the shelf these days. If someone hasn't noticed this trend, they are missing out
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 7:53 am    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
Wow....beautiful....I have been playing a Discovery for the past six years. I love the ease of playing, tone and accuracy of this guitar. I may have to check these out.

D10's and SD10's are flying off the shelf these days. If someone hasn't noticed this trend, they are missing out

Justice makes a true S10.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:11 am    

Thanks for all the positive responses. Chris B, I don't think I'll be playing "stand up" with this one. That trick looked pretty good when I was a younger player, but at age 70... not so much. Laughing

Ken, I'll have to play this guitar on a gig before I can accurately compare it to the Emmons. I have some outdoor things starting in April. I will say though, in my music room it sounds very clean, and maybe just a little stronger output than my Emmons. When I get out with the band, bass & drums and my amp cranked, I'll know more.

The body is a bit wider than most S-10s and it's handy for setting accessories on. It will also make an excellent beer holder on those summer gigs! Smile

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:31 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
The body is a bit wider than most S-10s and it's handy for setting accessories on.

I noticed that...looks much wider than the Discovery S10. I'd imagine Mike and the team at Mullen could likely add an arm rest on these as a custom option Winking

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:35 am    

Doug,
You made an excellent choice of color on your new Mullen. Enjoy!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:50 am    

Looks good, Jerry!
John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 2:04 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:

Williams also makes a true S-10.
Really nice Mullen, Doug!

Last edited by John Palumbo on 11 Mar 2021 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 2:06 pm    

Very nice!!
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.