| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New here - Fender 400 mechanical issues
Peter Micek

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 11:15 am    

Hi all, I am new to pedal steel. I have a Fender 400. It seems like it sat a long time. Only one of the pedals seems to work (i.e. depress and retract quickly) well. I've heard I should use nut juice on it, but I don't know exactly where to apply it (everywhere?)

If anyone wanted to walk me through, on Zoom I suppose, the basic mechanics and help me get it working, I would kindly pay.

Thanks!
Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 1:10 pm    

I own 2 400's.
I pulled the changer on both when i got em
Soaked them in naptha.
Soaked the big pulley,and the small pulleys too.
Lube with dry teflon.

Jim Sliff is on here,he is a guru on them.
I know this aint what you were asking for.
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2021 7:28 pm    

What Michael said.
There is a FB page for Fender pedal steels that has detailed instructions from Jim Sliff and how to do this. Jim is my mentor as well, your welcome to hit me up if you’d like.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 11:58 am    

I have redone and modified lots of 400s and 1000s -- usually taking parts from 1000 wrecks and adding pedals to 400s. Plan on completely dismantling your guitar, cleaning the parts, then putting it together again. For cleaning, I use a big pot such as you would use for boiling Lobster or crab, and boiling water/Simple Green. I used to use Tide and water, but that foams over. The boiling simple Green solution removes the gunk and is easy to remove any residue with a clean boil. Rebuilding is simple. The only fidgety thing is getting the cables in the correct order in the pulley cassette. It is logical, so be patient.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 7:41 pm    

Go to the Fender pedal steel page on Facebook and look at the “Files” section. There’s a wealth of good advice there. I used Ronsonol Lighter fluid to soak and clean my dismantled changers, but boiling using Simple Green seems like a good idea. Use no oil after that! Only a dry Teflon lube like bike shops sell. Having cables lined up properly and not crossing over each other on the big pulley is VITAL in getting it to operate smoothly and play in tune.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 11:55 pm    

Like K says above, the ONLY distress you will have is crossing the cables. I made a ten pedal 400 and I went through a wife and two girlfriends getting the cable passage through the pulley cassette correct. Use rubber bands keeping tension on each cable during the job.
If you have only a four pedal cassette rather than a big one confiscated from a loaded 1000, your current wife or girlfriend can suffice to get the job done.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 5:16 am    

Peter, please post a picture or two, including the underside and big pulley. PM me if you want. In summer I’m in Albany-Saratoga NY area. Where are you?
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 9:59 am    

I bought 2 Fender 400's then used the best parts from both to add a couple knees and build my "Super 400". It really is a requirement to completely disassemble and clean all metal parts in Naphtha solvent and reassemble using dry teflon lube.

It sounds harder than it is and as others have said, Jim Sliff is the expert and has written "The Procedure" on how to do this. Also, I'd highly recommend joining the Fender pedal steel FB group Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 1:35 pm    

I freshened up my old 400 using Jim Sliff's tutorial on the Facebook page. It cost maybe 20 bucks in materials, and only took a couple days.

Take your time taking things a part, and have some baggies labeled for parts to make reassembly easier. Namely for screws.
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 2:24 pm    

Anthony Campbell wrote:
I freshened up my old 400 using Jim Sliff's tutorial on the Facebook page. It cost maybe 20 bucks in materials, and only took a couple days.

Take your time taking things a part, and have some baggies labeled for parts to make reassembly easier. Namely for screws.

And take pix while taking things apart so you can see how it looked originally Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 2:35 pm     Re: New here - Fender 400 mechanical issues

Peter Micek wrote:
Hi all, I am new to pedal steel. I have a Fender 400. It seems like it sat a long time. Only one of the pedals seems to work (i.e. depress and retract quickly) well. I've heard I should use nut juice on it, but I don't know exactly where to apply it (everywhere?)

If anyone wanted to walk me through, on Zoom I suppose, the basic mechanics and help me get it working, I would kindly pay.

Thanks!

Where in NY are you??.. I have a ton of experience on Fender pedal steels, and could probably get yours up and running quickly.. If its a hour or two job, no charge if you can bring it here... If its a bigger job,, well lets just say almost no charge. I would be happy to help.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 10:47 am    

Dennis Montgomery wrote:
Anthony Campbell wrote:

And take pix while taking things apart so you can see how it looked originally Winking

YES - This is key as well.
Peter Micek

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 7:04 pm     in brooklyn

Thanks, all. I didn't realize it wouldn't notify me by email when folks responded!

It's only the 4 pedals. Everything seems original.

I'm in a top floor, walkup brownstone in brooklyn. I don't have a car or much outdoor space. So I'm a bit limited but some of this does sound doable. Maul or others, I'm glad to have you come by my place. Otherwise I"ll look into simple green, take pics of the instrument, and take care not to lose my gf!