| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SPARK amp bummer - lost transformer, power cord
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 3:11 pm    

The power input specs on the amp jack say DC 19V 2.5 amps.

Is there an off-the-shelf (Walmart, Best Buy. Amazon) replacement I can buy? Or does it have to be theirs?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 3:28 pm    

Perform a search for a company named, 'Phihong', they have several types and values listed. Bought a replacement power supply for my Hilton pedal and it works fine.
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 4:07 pm    

Do they also show what the polarity of the plug is?
Is the tip positive or negative?

Found one on Amazon, might work...

https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Converter-Transformer-100V-240V-Widescreen/dp/B07Z4T115Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Their supply would be best.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 4:13 am    

Manual shows center pos. Be 100% certain you've got that right or you will have all spark, no amp.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 1:08 am    

all you need to be concerned with is the Center ring , be it + or -. Do like millions do if its reversed, CUT the cord and reattach it "opposite" . There is no reason to purchase a FACTORY power supply and probably for 3x the price.

There are no rules, just plus and minus ! It needs at LEAST 2.5 amps as stated by spec, if thats even true, more is ok. Remember, they used a PS that was available , it very well can be overrated.

Don't be afraid to try a 15V PS . Low VDC circuits many times have "WIDE" specs. It will either turn on with a 15VDC or it won't, as long as the center ring polarity is correct there is no chance of damage. It will probably operate just fine with 15VDC.

I have an old Casio keyboard, the PS died, a replacement 15VDC PS was near $50. I have a box full of old PS's from wherever, one was from an internet Cable box, it was 15VDC . I reversed the wire for the center ring polarity and all is well.

Moral to the story, when accessories and gadgets die, get rid of them but KEEP the plug in Power Supplies. The primary differences are the type of PLUG and the Center ring. Other than that , they are just Low Voltage DC supplies and one of them may just save the day.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 5:46 am    

Tony is mostly right but I will add that some power supplies are filtered and others are not. Those not filtered will introduce noise in the unit. Also many are well above the marked output. I tested some universal ones and found that 9v marked on housing was putting out 13v. Granted this was not under a load so actual output in use may be lower. Just investigate the product for proper uses.
George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2021 10:30 am    

19V is a very common laptop power voltage, so an old laptop supply with a new connector might work.

The big issue that hasn't been mentioned is the dimensions of the actual barrel-type connector -- there are thousands of types of these and mfrs use unique ones so 1. you don't plug in something else and 2. they can sell you their own replacement power supplies. So you have to measure the diameters of the connector very carefully and buy the right one. And get the polarity right, of course.

I own a Spark amp, and IMO the external PS is a very cheesy way to do things, but it saves a lot of money. And for a versatile guitar oriented amp, it has no footswitching capability - oy! Not sure how I'm supposed to launch into that screaming lead sound! Otherwise, it's a fine and innovative amp.
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2021 7:24 pm    

Jerry Erickson wrote:
Do they also show what the polarity of the plug is?
Is the tip positive or negative?

Found one on Amazon, might work...

https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Converter-Transformer-100V-240V-Widescreen/dp/B07Z4T115Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Their supply would be best.

Review on the Amazon page says it worked for a Spark amp but the barrel plug was not the right diameter hole size, it was loose. A 2.5mm barrel plug is the normal "larger" plug over the 2.1mm.

The Spark amp barrel must be 3.00mm or larger then.

Here's a guide on how to ball park measure the barrel jack hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHyA4M0A8V4
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 10:54 am    

I use an Alitove like the one in the link above with my Spark. It works perfectly.