| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help identifying this Epiphone (?) Electar D8
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 5:38 pm    

An acquaintance of mine brought by this D8 steel that his father had bought in Hawaii many years ago. There was also a stand for the guitar. I know that Epiphone used the Electar brand for their electric instruments during that time. But unlike the photos I've seen of other Electar steels, this one does not have any Epiphone markings on it. Was this instrument built prior to Epiphone's acquisition of the brand? I'd appreciate any information about its age and pedigree! The instrument seems to be in good condition, and both pickups are working fine.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 7:57 pm    

Is it possible that the wood has been refinished? That would explain the lack of any markings on it.

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 8:31 pm    

I guess it's possible, but it sure doesn't look like it's been refinished. To me, it looks pretty much 100% original. The owner also has an amp that was bought at the same time, but I haven't seen that yet. The amp might help date the guitar.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 10:33 pm    

That would be an Epiphone Duo Console

From what I can see in your pictures and the info here, those look like the Tone Spectrum pickups and serrated knobs which gives your guitar a c.'48-'49 date. See if you don't agree.

https://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/closeup48.html
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 11:08 pm    

Scott Thomas wrote:
That would be an Epiphone Duo Console

From what I can see in your pictures and the info here, those look like the Tone Spectrum pickups and serrated knobs which gives your guitar a c.'48-'49 date. See if you don't agree.

https://wiedler.ch/nyepireg/closeup48.html

I never cease to be amazed by the knowledge here on SGF, The photos also seem to confirm that the finish is original.
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 3:51 am    

Epiphone created the Electar brand - there were no instruments made before they owned it.

While these normally had a metal "bikini" logo between the tuner pans, there are a few known from 1948 without it.
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 7:59 am    

For the longest time I thought that model was from the late '30s and initially I posted that here 'til something made me think better of it and I looked around and found out they are a decade later than that.
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 9:42 am    

Wow, you guys are truly amazing!

Scott, I'll ask the owner to bring the instrument back over so I can get a better look at the pickups. I bet you're right, though. I'll also see if I can find a serial number on the guitar. By the way, I saw your initial post before you deleted it. I loved the photo of the beauty in action! If you wouldn't mind reposting that photo, I'm sure my buddy here would like to see it.

Noah, thanks for the confirmation that the Epiphone badge wasn't present on quite all of the instruments.

I'll follow up after I've had another look at the guitar. Now I'm getting excited to get some new strings for it and see how it sounds.

Thanks, guys!
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 12:50 pm    

Sure...
Scott Thomas wrote:
Here is the Epiphone I referred to above, as played by the elegant Mr. Zinn:

That's from a contribution I made to an old thread of a similar topic:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=156275&highlight=zinn

Here is a thread with more pictures of interest:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=193500&highlight=electar

Note the gold pickup covers which according to the site I posted to above came along a year or two after your example--c. 1950. The thing about "transitional years" is that there are always some that share features from different years. Yours seems like a solid '48 if I had to guess an exact year.

I always think of this as the "L.T Zinn model" since he (the gentleman playing it in the first pic) is who I always associate it with.

Here he is playing it at the ISGC gathering.(Don't worry, the guy blocking the shot DOES eventually move out of the way! Mad )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0sczKu0RI8

It sounds great but I question what pickups he has in it since I have vague recollection of them being replaced? Anyway....

I'm glad Noah Miller weighed in on this thread since he is an Epipohone guy and knows his stuff.

Last edited by Scott Thomas on 11 Feb 2021 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 12:55 pm    

Many thanks, Scott!
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 5:33 pm    

The color coded hex head screws holding the fingerboard down are another classic Epi feature...

Dave
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 7:00 pm    

David Ball wrote:
The color coded hex head screws holding the fingerboard down are another classic Epi feature...

Dave

Yes, I really like those!
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 3:18 pm    

I was finally able to get back together with the owner of this guitar yesterday. I cleaned it up a bit and put new strings on it. The back neck now has the C6 tuning and the front neck has E13. The instrument sounds great.

Here's a better picture of one of the pickups:

The owner also brought the amp that his dad used. It's a sweet-looking old Oahu amp that appears to be in good shape. I'm going to dig into it soon and put it back into playable condition. Here's a couple of photos of the amp: