| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume knob setting on '77 MSA
Parr Bryan

Nacogdoches,Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 6:04 am    

Hello All,
Got that NV 112, man soundin' great! In getting setting where I want them-slightly bright with that beautiful MSA "dark" bottom-I notice the best tone was when I turned the volume control on the guitar (they had them on the guitar back then) from full volume (2 o'clock) down to 12 o'clock. This took out the last of the "midrange honk". But this cuts down the volume alot!! I practice in a small bedroom with the pre on 3.5 , master gain on 6 and the volume is barely loud enough!
Any of you guys noticed this on your old MSAs??

When I got the guitar (used) it was set at 12 o'clock so the previous owner did this as well. As far as I know the axe has the original MSA supersustain pickups.

Ohh, the midrange setting on the amp is -16, i.e. NONE! Thanks for any help.
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 4:54 pm    

Hello Parr, most players today do not use the volume control on their guitars because they cut down the gain to the amps a lot, most new guitars like Carter steels do not use volume controls on guitars, when I had my MSA I direct wired the pickups to the jack of the instrument and controlled the volume from my amp and the pre-amp settings were from my amp for strong gain, this helped my high's and mids come out more.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 5:27 pm    

(They're right...most pedal steels have done away with volume and tone controls.)

The "midrange honk" you hear is caused by the midrange control on your amp, and not the volume control on the guitar.

Try turning the midrange 'way down, and running the treble and bass a little higher.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 6:02 pm    

If you need more gain, I suggest you use an MXR micro amp. I have one and can attest to how well it works.

------------------
My web site
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2006 6:04 pm    

If it is like mine, your MSA has a bypass switch which allows you to use the tone and volume controls, OR use the pick-up straight to the jack, bypassing the controls. I replaced my MSA pickups with a Lawrence XR16, and I run it direct, and use the amp to set the tone controls. Larry Jamieson