| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a steel for my deployment to the middle east
Clint Anderson

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 9:13 am    

Hey all, this is a long shot, I am deploying to the middle east for 7 months and I absolutely do not want to bring my steel on the military flights. Is there a market anywhere in the middle east to buy one, or perhaps buying one across the pond anywhere to have shipped to my duty station. Or does anybody have any advice or expierence with this problem? I will have a lot of down time and will be able to pick at least a few hours a day for 7 months, it would be a shame to waste that precious time not being able to play.
Kurt Gepke

Las Vegas, NV.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 3:17 pm    

Clint,
I think your best shot at finding something in the middle east will be in Dubai, UAE. That said, finding something you want in stock might be another story.
One can get ANYTHING in Dubai. ANYTHING. Trouble is that it might be gold plated and sell for $500K. Best of luck!

KG
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 11:23 pm    

If you are only going to be their for 7 months, I would suggest you trade up a steel here in the USA. Make sure it is set up proper to play, Then package it like it was being commercial shipped. Good padding and plywood.

If you wait till you get there and get your address, Order the guitar and get it shipped to you. You could be a Short Timer ready to rotate back to the states, By the time you got the guitar..
If you order a steel and it is not set up right, Would Parts and Tools be available, Do you have the ability to tackle setting the steel up for you?

Good Luck on your deployment and Happy Steelin.
David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2021 1:47 pm    

Maybe a 10-string lap steel or practice board is all you need?? If you're not deploying for a few weeks yet you could maybe find one to take with you.
Nicole Lawrence

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2021 10:51 pm    

Hey Clint, I have a Sierra Artist model 10-string E9 PSG, Emmons set-up. I keep it as a back-up or travel guitar. It's better than a student model but not quite pro level. The body is aluminum so it's super light, and the guitar itself does not cost an arm and a leg. I've seen a couple other ones floating around in the world, you may be able to find one. If I had to go overseas for a few months I would bring that. Relatively easy to travel with, and it really is a good guitar. I think they come stock with a George L pick-up, that's what mine has. Best of luck to you.
stevepo

Clarion, PA. USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 6:06 am    

Clint,

I had several years of work in the ME. My D10 shipped to my APO address in just eight days. You should not experience any problems sending a well packaged guitar. I agree that military flight shipping is risky so avoid it if possible.

Steve
Steelman.Porter@yahoo.com
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 7:25 am     lap

I recommend 8 string lap if its only for 7 months. You can strap it on your pack. Sincerely,