| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for someone to repair my Sierra U12 Steel Guitar
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 2:38 pm    

Is there anyone close to the Panama City, Fl area that can work on them and help me get this fixed. Any information would be appreciated.
It has been suggested that I do this and that but the only problem is I don't really understand how all that works underneath it all. Especially since it is a U12. Maybe I am making it harder than it is but it pops every time I depress the floor pedals, most especially the 3rd one.

Thanks

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 6:19 pm    

I’m afraid I’m not not local(I’m in SC), but if you can’t find some help that is, I’d be happy to help you with it.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2021 7:55 am    

Something in the linkage has probably gotten out of alignment or out of adjustment.
The rods usually pull in a very straight line.
If you can locate the souce of the popping sound you will probably see the problem.
It may help to put the Steel on a table and press the pedals with your hand while you look underneath.
Narrow it down which pedal and which string.
If the A pedal and C pedal pop, it is probably something with string 5.
Sometimes the Springs cause a popping sound and just need a slight adjustment.
Sometimes a part or fastener comes slightly loose and pops when the tension of the pedal hits a certain point. Check for any loose parts underneath.
Sometimes the ball-end from a broken string gets trapped in the changer and that could cause a pop.
What model is your Steel? How many pedals and levers?
Pictures or video would help to troubleshoot.
Pete
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 8:42 pm    

Pete, the popping is pretty hard and not just a noise, I'm afraid so I am sure something is catching on something. I have to admit, I know enough to play one, a bit, but I am just not very savvy on the technical know how of much up keep. I was a major undertaking for me, just to change out the old strings with new ones. I didn't touch anything underneath, to begin with once I changed the strings but it started popping so here I am.

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 8:45 pm    

Kelcey ONeil wrote:
I’m afraid I’m not not local(I’m in SC), but if you can’t find some help that is, I’d be happy to help you with it.
I may just have to get all the appropriate info on shipping and send it to you, if I can't figure something out. I have been in contact with a guy named Lavon that I have been in contact with, that knew Jack Goodson as I did. He gave me a name in Pensacola, Fl and one in Dothan Al, and both are 2 hour drives, if I can get up with them. I will pursue them contacting them but I may have to get back up with you. Thanks.

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 10:11 pm    

Johnny Baker,

Just let me know.