| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finishing up my latest Classic SS restoration
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 9:19 am    

This is probably the prettiest steel I've ever seen, IMHO anyway. Mark Giles touched up and re-clearcoated the cabinet as well as added a few other 'cosmetic enhancements'. It got pretty full underneath with 8 pedals and 8 knee levers, there are 38 pulls total. I started tuning and tweaking yesterday and it plays and sounds great. I love these old MSA's.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 10:02 am    

I like the old MSA's more that any other vintage guitar because the mechanics seem to last forever. There was a guy locally who played just like Jimmy Day, tone and all, and he played a Classic SS MSA. I was unable to duplicate his exact sound even with his guitar but it had super smooth action and rock solid stops. Not a light weight axe though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 10:26 am    

Darvin, those are my favorite of the the old MSAs. Nice job fitting all those knees in there! Not a whole lot of room underneath!
Happy new year!
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 10:39 am     Finishing up my latest Classic SS restoration

darvin,

great job on the SS msa wow Whoa! beautiful color
on that axe. let hear what it sounds like...

paul
Nikolai Shveitser

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 10:45 am    

Looks great! Smile I miss my old Classic SS. I'm curious about the return springs. Looks different than the springs on the steel i had. Did they come like that from the factory?
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 11:51 am    

Nikolai, I convert all of my old MSAs to adjustable lower return springs. It’s a little hack I came up with several years ago.

Thanks for the complements guys, it turned out really nice.

Mitchell you know firsthand what it’s like fitting all those brackets, mounts, and pull rods in a small space, you do it every day. It is a challenge, but that’s what pedal steel guitars are all about on the top and bottom both, a challenge.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 11:52 am    

Beautiful, stunning, .......

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 12:26 pm    

Always a great job from Darvin!!
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 1:25 pm    

Looking good, love them old MSAs, Wish I had kept the green Universal S12 I had.
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 6:40 pm    

Gorgeous guitar. Your restorations are so beautiful.
I have a soft place in my heart for those guitars😊

Last edited by Tommy White on 2 Jan 2021 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 6:50 pm    

I'm so envious. That may be the best looking steel I ever saw. I wish I had bid against you when it was online for sale a few years back.

Anyways, it looks even better now and I thought it was gorgeous back then.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 7:16 am    

Very cool Darvin! How's life on the ranch these days??
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 8:04 am    

Still loving the ranch lifestyle, I would never leave it if I didn't have to go into town for groceries once a week or so. I go several days at a time and never start up my truck, and my wife's car doesn't get started for several weeks at a time. These guitar restorations are my cold and rainy day projects, when the weather is nice there's lot's of work to do outside.
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 9:59 am    

Beautiful finish. Love my old Classic S-10. The only time I mind the weight is lifting the wheeled case in and out of the car. But feels so solid.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 10:17 am    

Beautiful Job Darvin. You did Good. I had one of the SS's back in the day. Stayed in tune for days on end. Built like a Sherman Tank & weight like one was only bad thing I had about it. But I was young then and did not think much about it. Take Care, J.R.

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 12:31 pm    

Love that color combo......very cool!!!!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 1:18 pm    

Classic SS...Super Small. Most compact MSA. Relatively lightweight in the 80's era comparatively.

I don't see the Classic SS decal/logo on the front though. Did you lose it the resto?
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 1:42 pm    

Yes Jerry, the original MSA and Classic SS logos both had to go, this is a later MSA decal. This body is inlaid, the original silk screen trim had to go away too.

I just weighed this guitar and it weighs 65lbs in the case. I’ve had lots of heavier ones.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 1:47 pm    

Kyle Bennett at MSA originally painted this guitar when he was just a kid. Maurice told him he wanted something different on this guitar and this is what he came up with. This type of finish scheme was really unusual in the mid-80’s when this guitar was built.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 12:00 pm    

Darvin,Absolutely Beautiful!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.