| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Guy Introduction - Pacific Northwest near Tacoma
Bob Quinn

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 9:32 pm    

Hi Steelers, became a member in 2016. Never signed on until now. Like many I'm newly retired and now have time for this puzzle. I'm blessed, or cursed to have purchased a used Circa 1971 ZB Custom Student Model. 3+1. Lever lowers the E's. I know you've heard this before: There are a pair of holes to add a second cross rod. This would be a LKL. I've learned that this guitar was a special child to ZB, and that he made an album playing this guitar. I've also come to understand that the tone is considered to be be quite good, and the the pickups are unique in a good way. The downside is that for a beginner, it's a Tinkertoy. I've got this thing tied together with twisty ties and paper clips.An E raise lever to F would sure be helpful to my learning process. I spend more time adjusting than playing. Anyhow, I'm over 50 years at fingerstyle guitar playing. Pop in say hi!
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 6:13 am     Hi Bob, good to hear from you!

Hope you get the bugs worked out of the ZB. Owned a BMI years ago ,loved it.Zane sure was a pioneer.let us know your playing and mechanical journey!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 6:17 am    

Welcome Bob to a great hobby! I enjoy the tinkering more than the playing nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 10:58 am    

Welcome & enjoy the journey!
ZB's can be a bit intimidating to work on, but you can pretty much fabricate any parts you need with simple tools & basic hardware. Once set up they play nice & sound great. Very Happy

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 2:24 pm     Welcome

I’m on Vashon Island close by the pt defiance ferry. We could take a look at it prob rig something up!

Play nice.

They is none else.
Bob Quinn

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2020 9:18 pm     Thank you all!

Hi gang, Thanks for your welcomes, good wishes, and real help. I've heard from a member located south of me who may offer some solutions. Tab Tabscott..you're the nearest it would appear. I may reach out to you after the holidays!(I'm in Auburn, WA) - Eric Dahlhoff, I've had the guts out on the bench a few times now..no chewing gum yet...but it may come to that! Fortunately, as you mention it's a reasonably short chain of simple machines..just takes some puzzling. Greg Cutshaw, Thank you for your kind words, and happy tinkering! Joe Krumel - Thanks for your warm welcome. I'm guessing now that finding a cross bar and lever will be the hardest bit..the rest can be built from simple hardware. Thanks fellows!

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 7:59 am     Zb + 1

Dear Bob - Wouldn't you rather be playing and learning than tinkering? For $1,500 - $2,000 you can get a pro grade 3 x 4 single neck E9th guitar and be playing tomorrow morning. And you could still work on the ZB too.

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 8:31 am     ZB knees

Bob,
Check with Jim Palenscar and Billy Knowles (both forum members) for ZB knee levers.
The cross rod is just 3/8" cold rolled steel rod you can get at any hardware store. When I can find it I like to use zinc plated ones.

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 8:40 am    

Hi Bob and Welcome!
I live in Portland Oregon now, but I lived in Auburn WA and have an Electronics Degree from Green River Community College circa 1993.
Nice area up there, close to Seattle, and you got Crystal Mountain up there with great skiing. Smile
I hope you will come to one of our Portland Steel Jams once things get back to normal. We usually have tons of players and Steels and music and gear to check out.
Best regards with your ZB!
Pete
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 9:14 am    

Hey Bob, welcome... used to live in Auburn and Kent... now in Tacoma... and don't know a thing about ZB, though I looked at one to buy back in the 70's around Yakima.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 10:18 am    

Hey there, Bob, I'm living and teaching from my home near Olympia, WA. My first pedal steel was just like yours, a red ZB student model, and had the 2 levers. I had to attach a wood block extender with a rubber band to the LKL just to be able to reach it, but the guitar sounded great to my newbie ears, played well, and really helped me get going.

I teach via E9 lessons via Skype, if that might be of interest, email me, I'll get you info. Post-Covid I can teach occasional PNW students in my home studio, or a blend of the two methods.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717
Bob Quinn

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 9:36 pm     Many Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Once again thanks for the great welcome responses, and what a fine community here! Richard Alderson: Yeah it seem like simple logic; Lay down the $$ and get a new or Newish Steel. Uncertain times now, and I'm just retired so it's "Run Whatcha Brung! As fortunes turn..we'll see (fingers crossed)! Eric Dahlhoff: Thanks for this great info!I will follow up! Pete Burak: Thanks for saying Hi. Portland's not so far. After COVID goes away anything is possible. I hope to be there one day! My lady and I go walking in the experimental forest there on the Green River campus. Dale Rottacker: Howdy Dale: Thank you for your greeting! We're neighbors..Kinda! Maybe it's a good thing you missed the ZB! Everybody likes the tone, but I'm learning that they're cantankerous! John McClung: John, think back a few years to the day a stranger, and enthusiast visited your home. THANK YOU!

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 11:02 pm    

Doh! Memory ain't what it used to be, Bob, forgive my lapse there. You're always welcome back, live or on Skype.