| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Other Peavey SS Amps
John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 1:54 pm    

Has anyone had any experience with a Peavey Special, no other designation follows, or the Special 150? Both are Solo Series amps. Any info is appreciated.
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 2:54 pm    

John, I have a special 130 and it has the mid shift control. After changing speaker to a TC Furlong Eminence it is one loud and wicked pedal steel amp. They made a special 150 but I do believe the solo series is different. If it has the mid shift it would make a great steel amp. I have used the Bandit series with good results. An eq pedal in the effects loop will get the mid cut needed.
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2020 5:39 pm     Special 130

I just picked up one cheap on Facebook Marketplace. It was pretty dirty. I brought it home, cleaned the chassis, cleaned and lubed the pots, put the chassis in Nashville 400 cabinet, and added a 1501-4 Spider Web Black Widdow. The input jacks were kind of gross, so I purchased some new washers/nuts off Ebay and replaced the old ones. I replaced two in front and four in the back. Looks much better! I also replaced a couple knobs.

Thus far, I have only used it in my practice room. However, I am very impressed with it. Yes, the mid/shift control sets it apart. Bulletproof construction. Mine has the old IC chips (4558) but still sounds good. I want to install the OPA2134PA Burr Brown chips sometime soon to make it even better. It should have plenty of headroom to cover any job.

This is what I started with:

Here it is now after a couple hours of work:

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 6:59 am    

Don, these are great amps. I put the Ken Fox chips in mine, can't say that was a big improvement but the speaker change was. I tried a TT 12 and didn't like the tone. The TC Furlong 12 done the trick.
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 8:05 am    

Larry.

As soon as I restore the original cabinet, I will try the TC12 that now resides in another extension cabinet. I haven't tried the Scorpion yet, but I hear they are good speakers. Thanks for the info...

Don
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 6:19 pm    

Good plan. Never know what may make the proper connection. You might like the scorpion.
Calvin Todd

The Ozarks, MO
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2020 2:50 pm    

I’ve been loving my Special 130 with EVM12L!
Also been using a Reno 400 in a Nashville cabinet with a Big Ben eminence and am pleased.
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 8:57 am     Special 130

Don: Is the e.q. setting shown in the photo, exactly how you want it? Thanks. Tommy.....
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 9:19 am     Special 130 Settings

Tommy,

No, this is not how I run it now. I will take another pic when I get back home.

The mid/ shift control is close. I got the EQ settings in another post by Paul Wade which can be found on a Forum search. This was my starting point that works pretty well. Keep in mind this is in my music room. It could change in a live situation for a better cut for the steel.

Just got home. Here are my settings. The fat knob (High Pull Thick) is pushed in. Presence can be adjusted for taste. The mid/shift controls are at 9 and 2 as shown. This should be a starting point and tweaked for your equipment.

Thanks, Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 27 Dec 2020 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 5:40 pm    

Special 130 settings are posted...
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 7:28 pm     Special 130

Don: Thanks. I have a Special 130. I put the amp. in a NV400 cabinet with a 15' Black Widow 4ohm speaker. It's really only a spare in case I ever have a problem with my NV112.. It sounds real good, but I'm never sure how to get the best E.Q.... It's also kind of over kill. Much more than what I need. Thanks, Tommy.....