| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin change on 0 pedal
Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 2:28 pm    

I recently acquired a Show Pro Lloyd Green model SD10 and it came with the Franklin change on the 0 pedal. I would prefer this on the #4 pedal but rather than make change to the steel I'm trying to get used to this pedal being in 0 position. It's been a little trying to keep my foot off the 0 pedal by mistake.
My question is this more common for Franklin change to be on this pedal and is there any advantages or disadvantages over #4 pedal? The left knees on this steel were also set over by Show Pro to allow this pedal change, so I'm reluctant to have that changed.
Patrick Thornhill

Austin Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 4:46 pm    

In one of the Franklin Method videos Paul talks about placement. He has it on p4 because it was the easiest placement, but thinks having it at the 0 position makes a little more sense as he tends to use it in conjunction with the A pedal (I’m paraphrasing, of course). He goes on to say that his dad would kill him if he asked to have all 9 of his guitars redone to move it at this point... Laughing
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 7:21 pm    

Depends how your knee levers are setup. If you lower your E's with the LKR, the Franklin change would be best on the 4th pedal when used in conjunction with that knee lever.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 8:12 pm    

From everything I have read and talked to other players who have a Franklin Pedal, You want the Franklin Pedal next to the A pedal. If they play Emmons/Nashville Pedal Setup they make it an O pedal. If they play Day Setup, They set it up as pedal 4. This allows the Franklin Pedal to be used in conjunction with the A pedal.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2020 11:06 pm    

For the guitars on which I have the Franklin change, it is on Pedal 0. I'm set up Emmons ABC, with E=>F on LKL and E=>Eb on RKL (as does Paul Franklin). That's just the way those guitars came to me, and I saw absolutely no reason to move it. In fact, on most guitars, it works better ergonomically for me to have the A-pedal shifted right a bit.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 10:54 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
From everything I have read and talked to other players who have a Franklin Pedal, You want the Franklin Pedal next to the A pedal. If they play Emmons/Nashville Pedal Setup they make it an O pedal. If they play Day Setup, They set it up as pedal 4. This allows the Franklin Pedal to be used in conjunction with the A pedal.

Why would one want to use the A pedal and Franklin pedal together? Strings 5 & 10 would just cancel out and stay a B note. Effectively just giving the G# to F# lower. I guess it's a way to get that 6th string lower if you don't have it on a knee lever. I just don't understand the logic in using the FP and A together.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 11:26 am    

SO DO I !!!!
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 11:27 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Bobby D. Jones wrote:

Why would one want to use the A pedal and Franklin pedal together? Strings 5 & 10 would just cancel out and stay a B note. Effectively just giving the G# to F# lower. I guess it's a way to get that 6th string lower if you don't have it on a knee lever. I just don't understand the logic in using the FP and A together.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 11:46 am    

You don't press both pedals together, but rock your foot off of one to the other. Rocking your Fp and A pedals is easier if they are next to each other.
Plus, using the f-pedal and 10th string as the base note (A), you have 2 octaves from the 10th to 3rd strings, using the A-B pedals as your home range. The rocking one/other opens up the possibilities of new licks...
I discovered this after having moved the Fp from 4 to the 0 position...........Pat.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 12:16 pm    

I agree it's easier to have it adjacent to the A pedal.

As Pat alludes, coming from AB down, then up, then the Franklin pedal, then back to AB gives a different sound that isn't possible any other way. This is just one of many ways to use the Franklin pedal. I'll let someone else cover that.

FWIW, since I play D10's, I put the Franklin pedal on P8 since I have the heavier feeling Boo-Wah on pedal 4
I find with some practice, it's pretty easy to move off the VP to engage P8. If you play C6 on a D10, you probably find yourself two-footing at some time or other anyway.

I offer this suggestion as another good reason for the P4 and 8 swap.

This way, it doesn't matter whether it's the Emmons or Day set-up and you, or the next guy, doesn't have the major task of reconfiguring all the pedals and levers for a 9 pedal rig....and you save a little bit of weight and a lot of hardware.

Of course you don't have this option if you're playing a single neck guitar, so I suggest putting the FP next to the A pedal in that case.
Lonnie Wells

The Buckeye State
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 4:39 pm    

Thanks guys for all the comments. This is the first steel I've had with that change so sounds like the 0 location where it's at will be good. I just need to get use to it being there and then how to use it.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 5:51 pm    

Pat Chong wrote:
You don't press both pedals together, but rock your foot off of one to the other. Rocking your Fp and A pedals is easier if they are next to each other.
Plus, using the f-pedal and 10th string as the base note (A), you have 2 octaves from the 10th to 3rd strings, using the A-B pedals as your home range. The rocking one/other opens up the possibilities of new licks...
I discovered this after having moved the Fp from 4 to the 0 position...........Pat.

What confused me was the phrase of using them in "conjunction" with the A pedal. That means "together" to me. I agree it's best next to the A pedal for working back and forth with the A (& B) pedal. I go back and forth putting on and taking off this pedal. Never really used it much. Currently, it is not on my guitar.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 8:12 pm    

So, "together" can mean at the same time, or separately. As it turns out, I don't use it much, either.....yet. I'm still learning. I did move the 6th string G# to F# to a separate lever, too. BUT! Hey! If Paul Franklin ever visits (it just could happen...), I'll have that pedal, and his dad won't have to get angry because it's already changed!

...........Pat.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 11:27 pm    

Sorry, I did not make the statement in my post clear.
I do not play a steel with Franklin Pedal. Was thinking of installing one on an MSA, Then went 12U.
One guy said, "He did not like moving his foot back and forth over the C pedal from 4th to A&B pedals.
Some have talked about rocking between the A and 4th pedal at times.