| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  stainless vs nickel strings
Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 11:44 am    

I've always used stainless, thinking about changing it up. Can you REALLY hear a difference between the two?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 12:50 pm    

I changed when I sold the Franklin. I used George L's SS Wound strings on the Franklin for all of the 38 years I had it. I'm now using SIT Nickel on my GFI D-10. There is a difference in sound but after using the SIT's for about 6 months I don't miss the George L's SS (or the extra price).
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 1:22 pm    

I'm with Jack on that. I've used SIT nickel for 25 years after trying SS and all major brands at the time. For my ears the nickel has a softer warmer tone. I had already used nickel on my 6 string guitars for 50 years. You will have to decide on what difference it makes to your style.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 1:44 pm    

I have metal necks on my Super Pro. I use NYXL strings on both necks. If I had wood necks, I would use SS.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 1:48 pm    

The only difference between stainless and nickel strings are the wraps on the wound strings; the plain strings are all just regular steel music wire on both types. The stainless wound strings aren't as smooth, and they'll cause some drag if you're using a stainless steel bar. They also make a tiny bit more bar noise and sound a little "twangier". I've used both, but prefer the less twangy sound of the nickel type.
Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 2:29 pm    

Thanks for the replies
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 2:32 pm    

Since I'm still using the same stainless Emmons bar I've had since the seventies, I use nickel strings. Less drag, noise, and cost. SIT Buddy Emmons strings sound fine to me, and they're relatively inexpensive. Whatever the shortcomings in my playing, I can't fault the strings.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 3:07 pm    

I always liked the smooth sound and feel of Nickel Strings, but back when, they became dull and lifeless far to fast for a guy who never enjoyed changing stings Wink So I switched to stainless which to my ear after a break-in period settled into being less bright and brassy? But never to the extend where I thought they sounded as good as the Nickel... Since switching to the NYXL's a few years ago I'm back to that warm silky sound of the Nickel and with the NYXL's am pleased that they keep their warm silky sound, a VERY long time.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 6:03 pm    

Nickel all the way, I tried stainless a couple of times, too sticky, scratchy bar noise and sterile thud, however some guys love them so give it a 10 dollar shot.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 8:44 pm    

I used George L Stainless for several years on an MSA Classic S10 I gigged. Went to a 12U, Continued using SIT Stainless Strings on a GFI.

I ordered strings about a week ago, Ordered 3 sets Stainless and 3 sets Nickel. I am getting ready to set up another 12U Keyless. I want to try Nickel and Stainless on the keyless before I decide which it sounds best.

The thing I have found over the years. Wipe Stainless wound strings with a piece of 0000 steel wool, Pulling toward the ball end until the steel wool slides smooth. 4 or 5 wipes. Makes the strings smoother and bar run smoother.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 8:03 am    

A chrome bar on nickel stings, the best feel and tone you can get. Very Happy
Erv
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 10:16 am    

A little science - magnetic pickups need strings made of permeable (able to be magnetized) materials. The string needs to pull the magnetic field around so that a signal is induced in the stationary pickup coil. Stainless steel is not permeable. But, as Donny noted, the core is always steel which is permeable.
So, you could make the argument that Nickel wound strings present more permeable material than stainless steel wound so likely produce a bigger signal, and/or don't require as much pick attack to get the same signal level. This may explain the tone difference in fact as the sensitivity may be be affected by the frequency of the overtones.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 8:57 pm    

The Stainless Steel winding wire used on SIT Stainless Steel string sets is attracted to a magnet when removed from the Core.
There is many industrial "so called stainless steels" that are attracted to magnets, And some are not happy if they are exposed to Coca-Cola. Or exposed to certain Costic Chemicals. Some manafactures of sharp stainless steel knives on its label say, "Hand Wash Only, Do Not Place In Dish Washer". Or the Edge will be etched.
rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 6:34 pm    

Hey Jim,

I use nickel strings. Like others have said, they play and sound smoother than SS. I go back and forth between Jagwire, Live Steel Strings and GHS. I would like to try the NYXL but haven't found any in 12 string sets.

Hopefully we can get together in 2021.
Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 8:36 pm    

rick andrews wrote:
Hey Jim,

I use nickel strings. Like others have said, they play and sound smoother than SS. I go back and forth between Jagwire, Live Steel Strings and GHS. I would like to try the NYXL but haven't found any in 12 string sets.

Hopefully we can get together in 2021.

Thanks for all the input guys. I went ahead and ordered a set.

Rick - sounds good. I'm itching to play more!
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 10:27 am    

Nickel guy here for all the reasons above, even on my Emmons and ProIII.
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2020 8:12 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
A chrome bar on nickel stings, the best feel and tone you can get. Very Happy
Erv

Erv told me this (I had posted about string noise). I've done it, and think it is good advice.
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2020 11:33 pm    

GHS Rollerwound here..warm and smooth!