| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Knees
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 8:56 pm    

Hello!

My Mullen RP has some knee lever positions that I would like to change. My first string raises on my LKR and I would like to change it to my RKL along with adding a second string raise on the same lever (it does not have this change currently). I live about an hour south of Lexington KY and I can’t find anyone in this area that can work on one. How hard would this be for me to do on my own? I’m fairly handy with mechanical things, but I wanted to get some advice on what I might need to know before I try it, or ship it off to get worked on. Thanks for any advice!

-Avery B.

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 6:08 am    

Avery, there's really not much to it. Depending what you now have on RKL. First you make note of the bellcrank hole and changer hole of what works now. Then remove the pullrods. After noting the existing changes on RKL, remove those pullrods, move the bellcrank over to pull 1st string using the shorter rod to connect it,referring to your note for proper holes to use. Not rocket surgery! You may end up needing another short rod (available from Mullen or others) to pull string 2. But you can hook it onto the same bellcrank.
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 6:15 am     Re: Changing Knees

Avery Bradshaw wrote:
...My first string raises on my LKR and I would like to change it to my RKL along with adding a second string raise on the same lever (it does not have this change currently)....
-Avery B.

Maybe a little fiddly, but pretty easy. I don't have an RP, but here's how it looks on my Mullen G2, which is probably pretty similar. Note that, as John Swain says, both pull rods are attached to the same bell crank.

It's the second cross shaft from the left, at the top of the image.

--Al Evans

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 9:17 am    

Al and John,

Thanks for the replies! I am going to attempt to do this on my own. It looks like I need to remove the 1st string raise from my LKR and take that bell crank off. Then using two smaller rods, install the bell crank on the RKL cross shaft using two pull rods that are made shorter for the knee lever. Is that correct? The only change I have on my RKL right now is a 6th string whole tone lower, which I would like to keep. I’m glad you all know what you are talking about, this thing seems complicated!

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 6:11 am    

Avery Bradshaw wrote:
...It looks like I need to remove the 1st string raise from my LKR and take that bell crank off. Then using two smaller rods, install the bell crank on the RKL cross shaft using two pull rods that are made shorter for the knee lever. Is that correct?

Sounds right to me. You can get the shorter pull rods from Mullen. According to my rodding chart, the pull for string 1 goes in hole 4 in the bell crank (counting from the cross shaft), string 2 goes in hole 2, and both go into hole(s) 3 (counting from the top, one raise, one lower, naturally) on the changer end.

--Al Evans