| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Single coil vs humbucker for lap ?
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2020 7:48 pm    

As the topic says, humbucker vs single coil for lap?

I saw the posts for pedal, but what do you think for lap steel, and different styles ?
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 3:38 am    

There's such an enormous range of sounds in each that generalizing is pretty much pointless.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 5:32 am    

I have retrofitted rescue guitars with both. I prefer single coils, but humbuckers often work better for playing through a dirt box. Humbuckers also get the nod for playing in buildings with electrical interference from neon signs, etc.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 1:53 pm    

What sound do you want?

I had an Asher Ben Harper model - a beauty, but the pickups were Les Paul guitar pickups...and it sounded like a Les Paul guitar. Fine sound, but I wanted something different. Sold it.

And an MSA Superslide, with a pedal steel pickup...and it sounded a lot like a pedal steel. That was what I wanted at the time. Now sold.

I now have an Oahu with a string-through, for a nice fat sound, thicker than any guitar pickup, and a Clinesmith Frypan, with a horseshoe pickup, holy grail of pickups, even thicker, almost 3D sound, the notes jump out at you....you can buy recreations of these pickups from Jason Lollar...

Check out Lollar's site for some interesting options...Gold Foil, Horseshoe, String through, etc.

So decide what you want...guitar sound, lap sound, etc.
Jesse Valdez

Fiddletown, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 1:56 pm    

For me, I care more about the size of the magnets. I'm after something closer to a Fender Trapizoid, Rickenbacher Horseshoe, or Bigsby's, so I prefer something like a rail pickup, underwound. I'm willing to live with a little hum in order to get that "sizzle."

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 11:19 pm    

I have both, and I like both. Sometimes I feel like this is one of those subjects that tie players up in knots, while audiences can’t hear a difference, and wouldn’t care even if they did.

Of course, being on the musician’s side of the stage, I’m curious about what others think?

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 4:33 pm    

Hi Ryan
You can get both in 1 pickup, the EMG-707TWX-R. This is the active pickup in Alan Akaka's Asher 8-string lap steel. The volume knob has a push-pull function to switch between the 2 modes. I own several Ricks with horseshoes and a Clinesmith with the Bigsby style PU. I think the EMG compares pretty well & obviously Alan Akaka likes it. Needs a 9v battery though.
https://www.emgpickups.com/707twx-r.html
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 6:50 pm    

you need to decide what sound YOU want, not what sounds pickups have.

having said that, the humbucker came about just for that...to buck hum. if you need a quiet pickup get a humbucker.

if you want a lot of top end get a single coil...and you will have to live with the 60cycle hum that the humbucker bucks.

if you want top end and quiet, get a humbucker that is not wound so hot. chet atkins had shot jackson UNwind the humbucker in his favorite gretsch back to less than 5K. there are also noiseless single coils on the market.

there are some active pickups that will give you plenty of top end and are still quiet, but....they sound like active pickups....EMG is a good pick for these.

one of my fav sayings by leo fender.....a humbucker sounds like you threw a blanket over the amplifier!
Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 12:18 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
What sound do you want?

I had an Asher Ben Harper model - a beauty, but the pickups were Les Paul guitar pickups...and it sounded like a Les Paul guitar. Fine sound, but I wanted something different. Sold it.

And an MSA Superslide, with a pedal steel pickup...and it sounded a lot like a pedal steel. That was what I wanted at the time. Now sold.

I now have an Oahu with a string-through, for a nice fat sound, thicker than any guitar pickup, and a Clinesmith Frypan, with a horseshoe pickup, holy grail of pickups, even thicker, almost 3D sound, the notes jump out at you....you can buy recreations of these pickups from Jason Lollar...

Check out Lollar's site for some interesting options...Gold Foil, Horseshoe, String through, etc.

So decide what you want...guitar sound, lap sound, etc.

Thank you for the post! I really do love my Lollar Horse shoe pick up, I put it in the silver hawaiian, and it sounds amazing. above the 12th I get a lot of goosebumps! Sometimes I gotta avoid too high a volume though...
Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 8:57 pm    

A person MUST have more than one guitar. Large part of the fun.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 4:59 am     Re: Single coil vs humbucker for lap ?

Ryan Lunenfeld wrote:
...humbucker vs single coil for lap?

Both.

Mike Christensen wrote:
A person MUST have more than one guitar.

Agreed. At least one with a single coil and at least one with a humbucker.
Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 6:15 am    

How about a reverse-wound-reverse-polarity set of single coils in bridge and neck positions on a 3-way switch for three sounds with the middle position being a humbucking option? Works nicely on telecasters.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 6:46 pm    

It’s easier to mellow out a single coil than it is to sweeten up a bucker, you can apply the noise gate to help with buzz in between notes or songs, I wouldn’t go past 40% on the noise gate other wise you loose tone.

London, England
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2020 10:21 am    

Rob Fenton wrote:
How about a reverse-wound-reverse-polarity set of single coils in bridge and neck positions on a 3-way switch for three sounds with the middle position being a humbucking option? Works nicely on telecasters.

This is what they did on Stringmasters too, though instead of a 3 way switch they had a blend control that gradually fadeded in the second pickup (the one nearest the bridge is always on).