| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Upgrading Rogue Lap with loaded control plate from 920D
Steven Schwartz

Longview Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2020 2:51 pm    

I bought a rouge steel to tear apart. I have programmed computers for 50 years and have been around a lot of electronics. From prototype to finished product.

The rouge electronics is a terrible rats nets of a whole lot of unnecessary wire with cold solder joints. Grounds everywhere.

Check out this loaded control plate from 920D on eBay. Seymor Duncan Hotrails Humbucker, perloid pickguard and wonderful electronics layout.

I admit I bought one, it is coming tomorrow. So far I have spent 80 on the rogue, about 20 from georgeboards to convert to 22.5". And 155 for the electronics update.

I made a nice console to sit my lap steels on from the legs. I play from a wheelchair.

I am having fun

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2020 3:17 pm    

I have thought about doing that conversion, please let let us know how it turns out!
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 2:02 am    

What is the most steel like pickup that comes in a strat cover?
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 4:53 am    

I don't believe in carpeting the outhouse. But I did put this one in my Franken-Rogue. I like it and it was a huge improvement in tone and response. It was a tight fit but I didn't feel like filing the plate. It was a 3rd of the cost for a SD Antiquity Lap Steel pickup.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Single-Slick-56-Flat-Pole-alnico-64k-Middle-Pickup--Fits-Stratreg-_p_11242.html

Steven does the 920D kit have a push pull pot and coil split?

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 5:24 am    

Looks like black to hot, green/ground to ground, standard pots. I think if you wanted to modify from that it'd be simpler just to do it yourself from components as they've left very little excess wiring for changes. Interested in how it sounds though!

The PCB on the back of the SD pickups, that's new to me. Not seen that before on normal pickups...wonder what the purpose is?
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 7:57 am    

I'd like to put $300 into my $80 guitar that I don't like so I can sell it for $75.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 8:34 am    

That is probably why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. If the owner likes guitar, that is what counts.

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 8:38 am    

Paul McEvoy wrote:
I'd like to put $300 into my $80 guitar that I don't like so I can sell it for $75.

Dig it! My motto: Buy high; sell low.

Paul McEvoy wrote:
What is the most steel like pickup that comes in a strat cover?

I purchased a special order Vintage Vibe SBA-B with a flat blade (not radiused like their standard Strat pickups) and installed it in my Studio Deluxe. It sounds excellent; like a Champ on steroids.

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/blade_poleWin.html
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 9:50 am     Re: Upgrading Rogue Lap with loaded control plate from 920D

Steven Schwartz wrote:
The rouge electronics is a terrible rats nets of a whole lot of unnecessary wire with cold solder joints. Grounds everywhere.

The 12 year-old girl who solders 'em up will likely improve her technique after she surpasses the threshold of the first million or two instruments.
Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 10:54 am    

I've sort of realized what the obvious outcome is. Replace all the parts with nicer parts until I realized that the ultimate problem is the guitar itself at which point I make a new body with good tuners and cut the body up where it can no longer annoy me or anyone else.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 11:10 am    

I have to say, the Rogue I bought was pretty nice. I had the opportunity to sell it for a little more than I paid for it. I liked the shape of the body, but it seemed like it would be better to put a longer scale on a longer body. I traced off the shape of the Rogue on a piece of Maple I had and made it longer for the 22.5" scale I planned to use. I figured while I was at it I would change the head which I also didn't care for. However for the price I paid I did get my money's worth. I guess I must have had the exception. Here is the one I built. Paul can you post a picture of the one you built? I like to see builds by other members.

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 2:58 pm    

That looks great! Can you show the nut and bridge?

I haven't built mine yet. My Georgeboards kit is supposed to come tonight. I just really hate the tuners and I'm working building guitars and it seems like a good project.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 3:19 pm    

[quote="Paul McEvoy"]That looks great! Can you show the nut and bridge?

I haven't built mine yet. My Georgeboards kit is supposed to come tonight. I just really hate the tuners and I'm working building guitars and it seems like a good project.[/quote

These are the two best pictures I have of the project. The nut fits tightly in a pocket a quarter inch deep. Those tuners are from GB Gitty and I think they were about $14? They stay in tune. Some guitars I spend the extra money on brand name tuners, but I am very pleased with these. I think they are called KD tuners.