| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lesser Known Brands
Caleb Melo

Porterville, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 1:05 am    

Just wondering if anyone has any stories/info/photos of the older lesser known, or “one-off” steel guitar brands. I’m thinking of brands along the lines of Miller Custom, Dal-Tone, Endecott Custom, etc. I’m not only curious about the guitars these brands made, but any accessories or amps they may have made as well. If anyone can think of other brands similar to those, go ahead and list them too! Thanks!

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 4:15 am     One Off as far as I know

Hand made by Semie Moseley. He was American luthier and the founder of guitar manufacturer Mosrite. Here is a YouTube video of Barbara Mandrell playing it. She was around 16 at the time.

https://youtu.be/Xjr2uh5OHT4
Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 8:25 am    

Here's a brand you don't see often. Clark Custom. I'm told they're very similar to ZB design. Very well made, in my opinion. This one came to me with the ShoBud fretboard, which is not original.

Since you also asked for a story: This was originally built with only two pedals and five KLs. I wanted a third pedal, and no vertical lever. I googled the company in Oklahoma, called, and Jim Clark answered. He wasn't making any more guitars, but had parts available: Pedals, bellcranks, various items. He agreed to send me the parts that day and went to hang up. "Wait, how much?" "Oh, I wasn't gonna charge anything". We agreed $50 would be about right. Sadly, Jim has since passed on.
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 11:19 am    

That pickup looks interesting.
Are those pole piece access adjusting holes in the center?
BTW there's a whole lotta people who have built themselves pedal steels over the years. I know my friend Jerry Fessenden has sold beaucoup undercarriage parts to many individuals making PSGs.
One of the most interesting home constructions I've seen is a guy who used bicycle chains in place of pedal rods - kinda steam punk. He gigged with this PSG for many years.
I don't recall his name now, shame on me.
Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 12:44 pm    

Jim,

I guess they must be for adjustment. They are small allen screws and have a magnetic pull. Since they sit between two rows of solid bar magnets, I don't really see how they'd have much effect, though.
Caleb Melo

Porterville, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 1:24 pm    

Great stories and photos! Keep ‘em coming, I love it!

Porterville, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 1:25 pm     Re: One Off as far as I know

John Williamson wrote:

Hand made by Semie Moseley. He was American luthier and the founder of guitar manufacturer Mosrite. Here is a YouTube video of Barbara Mandrell playing it. She was around 16 at the time.

https://youtu.be/Xjr2uh5OHT4

Do you currently own this steel? If not who does?

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 1:35 pm    

Those threaded screws allow you to put the magnetic field close to a particular sting like a conduit. It provides the means to even the balance of the response of your stings.
John Williamson

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 3:14 pm     Mosrite pedal steel guitar

Yes I own it. Even got in contact with Barbara Mandrell to verify that it was made for her.
Caleb Melo

Porterville, CA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 4:53 pm     Re: Mosrite pedal steel guitar

John Williamson wrote:
Yes I own it. Even got in contact with Barbara Mandrell to verify that it was made for her.

Wow! How did it end up in your possession? Are those pictures current, or is it playable now?

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2020 6:22 pm     Mosrite pedal steel guitar

I purchased it from a guy in Florida. He said that he had owned it for about 10 years. He claimed he had received it from a woman, who purchased it at a charity auction for a little over $10,000. I did not pay anywhere near that amount. Neither of them were able to verify its authenticity. I just thought it was neat. It was later that I found the video of Barbara Mandrell actually playing it. When I received it it came without legs. After I actually tried to put it together, it became obvious that the pedal rack was not correct for the guitar. The pictures are not new but are the way that it looks now. I can take any photos that you would like.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2020 5:04 am    

Wow, what a great find and so cool. I'll bet it's heavy but well made. He was ahead of the times in the design and building of instruments.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2020 5:20 pm    

I have a D-10 Miller. They are cool instruments for the unique inlays and woodwork on the bodies. Built circa 1963 or 4 to the mid 70's (I never knew the final year) mine is 1965.
Caleb Melo

Porterville, CA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2020 11:15 pm    

Daniel McKee wrote:
I have a D-10 Miller. They are cool instruments for the unique inlays and woodwork on the bodies. Built circa 1963 or 4 to the mid 70's (I never knew the final year) mine is 1965.

Awesome man! Could you post some photos of it?

The Ozarks, MO
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2020 9:14 am    

I’ve always had an interest in GES guitars. I bought a pack seat second hand and the seller told me it was made by George Sell. I guess he didn’t make a ton of guitars, but any of em you can find pictures of look amazing! And there is one pictured in the front of the Winnie Winston pedal steel learning book! I’d love to get to play one. It’s a pretty obscure interest but it feels special to have the seat!