| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tony Browne, Last Performance
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 12:53 am    

Dear All

Before Tony died, he sent me a half finished track he had done. He asked me to finish it.

It is the Charlie Pride Song, I'm So Afraid Of Losing You again.

Anyone wishing to leave a tribute on this post, for Sally to see, I will send a free copy of the finished performance tab. (Don't forget to leave your email address.)

I am not too familiar with recording software, but I have done the best I can.

The Youtube Link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vadFHlRLE

Kind Regards

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 6:59 am    

John like i said in the gone home side i was so sorry to hear this sad news. Toney was such a smooth player he made it all look so simple and easy i think i watched every video he made and that Sho bud always sounded so good i feel like i to just lost a good friend may he Rest In Peace.

Muldrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 7:24 am     Tony Brown

Hi John, I was so saddened by your post of Tony's passing that words just can't describe how I feel. I had many great email conversations with Tony and enjoyed his playing so much. Sally, I want you to know we will all miss Tony tremendously. May God give you and your family peace and comfort in this time of sorrow. May Tony Rest In Peace.

Hal

hdstack@cox.net

oksteelguitar@cox.net (forum email)
Ronald Korza

Southampton,MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 11:12 am     Tony

John
So sorry to hear about Tony. My condolences go out to the family and all that knew him.
May his memory stay alive with the music he has made for us to enjoy.
Steve Rizzo

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 12:19 pm    

John ,
Thank you for all you have done for me , learning to play my Steel Guitar .
All the Tab provided and the introduction to Tony Browne’s style that totally turned the
Corner on my playing. I find myself playing rock and roll hits from the 70’s and 80’s I never thought I’d ever care to hear again and now they are some of my cherished tunes .
Tony had an amazing ability to Nail it and your Amazing Talent to put his music into
Tab is quite the combination. Tony Browne and John Russell are the reason I play ,
My Mentors .
I hope others have unearthed the discovery I made a little over 1-1/2 years ago .
“Crying “ and “Tears in Heaven” are my tribute ... I will truly miss Tony .

Sincerely , Steve Rizzo
Kailua Kona , Hawaii
😎🌴🎶
Steven Cabral

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 6:26 am     Tony Browne

Although I never met Tony , I enjoyed listening to his playing. If his playing reflected at all the feelings and the quality of him as a person , I can understand why he will be deeply missed by all that knew him . My sincere condolences to both you , John and Sally .
Douglas Cresanta

Satellite Beach, FL
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2020 3:58 pm    

John,

That would be wonderful, to have a copy, of Tony's
last works.

I always enjoyed watching AND listening to Tony's
smooth playing style. He made it look so easy.

Tony, will certainly be missed. Rest in peace Tony.

Douglas Cresanta
shlby66@yahoo.com
Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 3:13 am    

Tony was a wonderful player. I didn’t know him personally but feel that we were friends through his great playing. Very smooth and with wonderful tone.

Nelsonsboy@hotmail.com
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 8:21 am    

Dear Sally,
I was sad to hear of your husband's death and he will be very sadly missed as a great entertainer and top pedal steel guitarist. He was always willing to answer questions and thus help all he could with his outstanding knowledge.

Many believe he was one of the best steel players and I do too as the remarkable tone he obtained was outstanding as well as his own excellent transcriptions of great classics.

We have lost a number of great steel players in recent times and his name will be with theirs. Many players like myself will truly miss his exceptional sound and that real artistry he possessed which is unique and only belongs to the few. Tony was one of the few with tremendous talent.

James Taylor 19, The Square, Rosehearty,
Aberdeenshire
Scotland
UK
musician40@hotmail.co.uk
Bill McKillop

Glasgow, Scotland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2020 4:09 pm     Tony Browne

So sorry to hear of Tony’s passing. I bought a guitar from him last year and we met up at Peterborough services. We had a good chat about steel guitars etc. I used to love his YouTube posts. He was a nice guy! He’ll surely be missed as will his beautiful playing.
william.mckillop48@gmail.com
Bill McKillop

Glasgow, Scotland
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2020 4:13 pm     Tony Browne

So sorry to hear of Tony’s passing. I bought a guitar from him last year and we met up at Peterborough services. We had a good chat about steel guitars etc. I used to love his YouTube posts. He was a nice guy! He’ll surely be missed as will his beautiful playing.
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2020 12:23 am     Tony

Bill

Was it my old Rains?
I sold it to Tony, when I got my Franklin.

I went to Tony's funeral last Friday.
The funeral ended, with Tony's recording of, "Play Me The Waltz Of The Angels"

I shall tab this and give it to Sally, to
Put on her online shop, with all the other
Youtube performances, in memory of Tony.
JR.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Bill McKillop

Glasgow, Scotland
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2020 9:36 am     Tony Browne

Hi John, yes, it was your old Rains guitar. I meant to add that Sally was with Tony that day. I’m sorry I didn’t get to spend more time with the but I had to get to Essex to visit my brother who was ill. He too has since died. The Rains is a good guitar!
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2020 4:15 am    

I didn't realize Tony was no longer with us. I've enjoyed so many of his videos on you tube. Wonderful player. Sorry to hear this.

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 7:36 am    

IIRC, at one time Tony played with a pub band before he posted his solo videos. The band (Grasshoppers?) had a beautiful lady singer with a wonderful voice. I might be mistaken about this because I can't find any of the Grasshoppers vids on Youtube. Wish I had saved some of them. Anyways, I do love Tony's unique style.

thesaydaks@mymts.net
Michael Sullivan

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 4:03 pm     Tony Browne

I was shocked to read of Tony Browne's passing. Three years ago I stumbled upon his YouTube video of " Someone to Give Your Love To" and reached out to him for a backing track. From then on we developed a friendship and I would reach out to him when I had recorded something new or needed advise. My admiration for him as a steel player went far beyond the humble words he used to describe himself. In one email he said "I consider my playing pretty basic but if any new players can gain something from the videos then that's great ". I am deeply saddened by his loss and although we never met in person his friendship was just as warm and friendly. Rest in peace my dear friend.

P.S. I would very much appreciate a copy of the final tab, that was very touching to listen to and an honor that he chose you to finish what he had started. That's a final request that breaks your heart to hear but you made him proud.

michaeljsullivan@mac.com
Douglas Cresanta

Satellite Beach, FL
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 6:17 pm    

Yes, Tony played in a club band, called the Barhoppers.

The girl singer, is Suzy Catrell, a very accomplished
singer.

She and Tony have a number of utube's, featuring his
steel playing, backing Suzy's singing. Excellent work
by both of them.

I really enjoy the videos they made.

Doug