| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 string 7, F# to G#, combos with other levers?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 8:12 am    

Is the whole tone raise on E9 string 7, F# to G#, commonly used in combo with any other knee levers? To what musical effect? Thanks, found this hard to track down via Search. Thanks, y'all!
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 8:55 am    

I don’t know how common it is, but my pedal C raises string 8 a whole step to unison with 7. Then I release C, lower 8 a half step, and raise 7 a whole. So it goes from unison to a 4th. Combine with string 10 for a I - vi type change.

7. 0____0++
8. 0C __ 0-
10. 0____0
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 10:03 am    

On 12 string Universal (with no 9th string D to interfere with this) I raise F# > G# on the 0 pedal. It also raises 12th string B > C#. Include the 0 pedal on your A pedal + F lever inversion and you have a strummable major triad on strings 12 thru 3 .
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 12:28 pm    

This may not exactly be what you were asking, but I have combined the 7 raise with my lever lowering 2 and 9.

As I string 2 lowers to D, 7 goes to G. As I further lower 2 to C#, 7 goes to G# and 9 to C#. I tune the half stops on 2 and 7 to be in tune as I pick up 9, and use an extra lowering rod on 7 and raise rod on 9 to pull them into tune when they reach G# and C#.

One could probably add a string 1 raise to this lever but I do that on a VKL.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 7:54 am    

Thanks for the ideas, Peter! Miss you and the LA gang something fierce!! What chords or useful lines does that yield?
Steve Leal

Orange CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 12:39 pm    

Hi John.

I always wondered why Tom Brumley raised string 10 from B to C# along with raising string 7 from F# to G# on his zero pedal. Do you know why?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 1:11 pm    

One way to look at it is a 2nd raised to a 3rd with pedals open. This is the same motion as the A pedal when pedals are down.

I ended up using it as a unison that I would pull apart in different ways depending on where I wanted to go. Or just play the unison as a super beefed up single string type sound.

I no longer have that change though.

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 5:38 pm    

John, L.A. misses you, too!

I don't know if my lever variation offers anything more besides freeing up another lever. One thing I like is the 13th on string 1 with A and B depressed and 7 at G (b7).

The unison with 6 is nice, too. I use it as a starting point for contrapuntal licks with lines splitting apart.

And it can be used as a variation of licks you might do with the more traditional 6 lower.

Personally I also like raising 7 on a P/P so I don't have so much slack on the B pedal, not that that ever seemed to bother Emmons...