| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  *Sold* MSA Classic U-12 (8x5) 1973 (price lowered)
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 10:48 am    

Hi all,
Decided to let go of my MSA universal 12, 8 floor pedals and 5 knee levers. It’s a Universal E9/B6 copedent right now with E changes on the right knee. This thing is built like a tank and the mechanics are smooth as can be.
I only know some of the history of this guitar. It was built in 1973 by Bud Carter. I’m not sure who owned this guitar until a couple of years ago. It recently had about 30 or so hours of work put into it by Tom Bradshaw and now plays smooth and beautifully. I’ve had it for the last couple years and I replaced one pickup with a Jerry Sentell Pickup, custom made for the size. I also replaced the switch. It’s On-On-On with middle position being a blend of the two pickups. The other pickup is stock. I still have the other original but it needs a rewind. I will include it with the purchase of this guitar.
This MSA does not show its age. Besides a couple small chips in the mica it almost looks brand new. The legs do look a bit worn, but the pedals, body, rods, and undercarriage all look newish and the end plates still have a practically mirror finish.
A few holes were plugged near the output jack, I assume it had volume/tone/fuzz control built in at some point (see picture). Comes with a plastic, lightweight case (the guitar is heavy), but the case suffered some damage when it was shipped to me. Still functions fine, but corners are damaged (see pictures).
If you are looking for a vintage U12 that’s in great shape, look no further. $2700 or best offer includes shipping to the lower 48. Will knock off $ if you are local and can pick up.

Thanks for looking!
Nick

Last edited by Nicholas Cox on 21 Aug 2020 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 5:02 pm     .

Willing to hear offers and potentially trades.
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 9:33 pm    

Was this steel a conversion from double neck? It looks like the end plate has room for a back neck.
John
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 9:59 pm     Neck

Not 100% sure of the changes it has been through but yes it has holes drilled for a second neck.
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 8:04 am     Trade

Trade for S10 or SD-10?
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 11:38 am    

This era MSA Steels had a Great Sound!

I had a Black Mica Double 10 like Curly Chalkers in the 70s and Loved it! This would make someone a Great 12 string Universal.

Best of luck !

Terry
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 11:39 am     Thanks

Thank you Terry. It’s a great instrument.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 12:09 pm    

Would you post the copedant for this guitar for us? Thanks a bunch......JH in Va.

CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 12:29 pm     Copedent

This is basically it. Note the right knees are reversed. And pedal 8 isn’t in the chart. Pedal 8 lowers 5 and 6 strings.
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 2:27 pm    

Haven’t heard any offers on this yet. I’m willing to bring the price down. It’s hard to find a guitar exactly like this one so I’m not sure exactly how to price it. If any of you experts out there think there is a more appropriate number please feel free to let me know.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 7:47 pm    

That copendent is the same as Jeff Newman's except the ABC pedals is Emmons instead of Day CBA setup like Newman's list.
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 8:57 am     Trades

Will consider trades for S10, SD10, or lap or console steel plus cash.
Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2020 10:25 am     Msa U 12

From looking at the Pics,, I'd have to say this guitar was a D 10 conversion.It looks like a professional job.... I have a 1973 S12 all original with an extended E 9th tuning I use these days as my main go to guitar..These things are built like a tank.It plays like a dream with zero issues.. But these guys are heavy,,.. . I've owned and played MSA since 1990 .. You can't go wrong with one of these.. Good luck on the sale.. It should be no problem..
Show Pro D10, 9&5, Boss RV3, Fender Steel King, Fender Twin,Fender Hot Rod De Ville ,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson '61 SG. Fender Studio DeLuxe lap steel,,'59 Fender Princeton amp..1973 MSA S12
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 10:05 am     Sold

Sold elsewhere