| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone Tubby Alnico Red with steel?
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 9:14 am    

Hi friends,

I recently ordered a Tone Tubby Alnico Red for my 1965 Deluxe Non Reverb. I’m curious about people’s experiences with these speaker for psg.

My speaker arrived a few weeks ago, and I loaded it into my Deluxe. It replaces a Weber 12F150. The Weber is a great speaker, but can be a bit strident on the high end....especially with steel....I end up dialing out most of the treble. The Weber has always felt a bit stiff to me, even through it is well broken in.

The Tone Tubby is warm, and quite pleasing, but maybe a bit too warm. The high end is really nice with psg, but there’s something a bit too tubby sounding in the low mids and low end, that I just can’t seem to dial out. It sounds great for steel at low volumes, but not my favorite at high volumes. Alternatively, it sounds great for 6 string at big volumes, but a bit hard at lower levels.

Obviously, this speaker is not going to be my all purpose, throw anything at it speaker, but it is pretty cool. Just curious what others experiences have been with this (these) speakers?
Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 10:13 am    

I haven't tried these speakers, but I just recently replaced a 12F150 in my Ampeg J20 (brown deluxe copy-ish) for the same reasons you described. I replaced it with an Eminence GA-SC64 and am finding that I like it very much. It still has much of the same overall character of the Weber, but without the stiffness and overly harsh high end.

You may want to look into one of these if your tone quest leaves you ultimately dissatisfied with the Tone Tubby. Great speaker.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 3:54 pm    

b0b mentioned a while back that he used a Tone Tubby speaker and I figured I would try one in a single 12 open back Mesa cab. I paired it with a Mesa F-50 head and has a great vibe with six string guitar and a good sound with pedal steel in a small place or miced.

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2020 10:10 pm    

Tone Tubby was the go-to for many major guitarists would send them their baskets to be reconed by Tubby since they used hemp cones.

Did you inquire from them for what you planned to use the speaker?

I had a JBLE130 reconed by them and rewired to 16 ohms but they, John Harrison before he passed, knew for what the JBL was going to be used and he luckily knew about the speaker cabinet for the intended JBL.

As with anything it depends on the player as to what they want to hear.