| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S10 C6 wanted! (Maybe a U12).
Robert Uffen

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 7:37 pm    

Hi all,
I posted a couple of weeks ago titled “l’m a newbie” and have had some very good advice from forum members. I’m a professional jazz guitar and double bass player and after a forty or so year pedal steel itch, need to scratch it! I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that I’m looking for a single neck 10 string C6 with 4 or 5 pedals and 3 or 4 knee levers although, perhaps a 12 string E9/B6 universal might work and be a lot easier to find! I’ve learned, much to my disappointment, that S10 C6 guitars are “rarer than hen’s teeth”! For all that I admire music played on a Nashville E9, it’s not what I do or hear in my head! I’ve considered learning E9 as an entry to playing and even know of a great S10 E9 for sale here where I live in British Columbia being sold, I’ll add, by a very pleasant fellow at a very reasonable price, but I don’t think I’d be interested in it enough to practice. I suppose I could acquire a D10 but I really don’t like having stuff I won’t use. Weight is also a bit of an issue as I have some physical problems that may not improve. So... any advice about the relative merits of an S10 C6 vs. a U12 are much appreciated and any guitars available, considered. Of course, there’s the possible problem of cross border shopping and shipping, especially given current times, and the relatively weak Canadian dollar to consider. Thanks in advance!
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2020 8:51 pm    

Robert, have you heard of or considered Reece Anderson's Bb6 universal tuning? If not you might want to do a forum search and check it out. It's basically the inverse of the more typical E9/B6 universal, the default tuning is Bb6, you raise the D strings to Eb to get to the Eb9 tuning, which is basically Nashville E9 a 1/2 step lower. This might be a better approach if you plan to primarily play jazz and swing.

There is another forum member from Portland OR, Chris Woitach, who took a similar path to what you've described. Perhaps you could reach out to him for some insight. He plays a Bb6 setup, he is an accomplished jazz guitarist and took up pedal steel a few years back. I got to hear him play both instruments at the Phoenix steel guitar show this past January, he's quite good.

Also just fwiw, if you really have your heart set on a S10 C6 and can't find one, almost any modern pro level guitar can be converted to any tuning or setup with a little elbow grease, and with the caveat that you may need to source a part or two depending on the current setup. That's a whole different discussion topic, but there are a couple of really good mechanics in the PNW who could help you pull that together if you chose to go that route.
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2020 4:58 am    

there was a sho-bud 6140 for sale here a little while back. that's a c6 s10. look in steel guitars for sale section.