| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Builders (Need Advice on A Dual Pro Refurb): Intonation
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 12:58 pm    

Hullo, fellers!

I am currently bringing a '53-'54 Dual Pro back to life. The fretboards and tuner pans were shot, so I've had to replace both.

Here's my 2 part question:

1) Before I nail down the amazing re-pro fretboards I got from Gary Rue (whose KingPin guitars are amazing if you can get your hands on one!), how do I ensure they're in exactly the correct place for intonation? I understand the 12th fret business, but is there a specific approach/are there any best practices I should be following?

2) Chris Scruggs informs me that different years of Dual Pros may have a slightly different bridge height. The tuner pans I bought came from '47-'48 that had box car pickups on it. Mine, obviously, had trap pickups. What other kinds of issues might this cause me that I need to be prepared to address?

Thanks much for all your advice in advance. Feel free to email me directly: markwaynehelm@gmail.com
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 1:51 pm    

You can get dimensions for the scale length you use from Stew Mac. They have a chart with what you need. I assume that is what you are asking?

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 2:39 pm    

Bill Groner wrote:
I assume that is what you are asking?

Not sure, Bill. What I'm asking is about how to know where, exactly, to tack down the new fretboard. I assume if it's a tad north or south the intonation will be off, correct?

Oh, and the Fender Dual Pro is a 22.5" scale.
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2020 3:20 pm    

Yes you are correct. If 22.5" scale the nut to the 12th has to be 11.25" and the 12th to the bridge has to be the same.

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2020 6:37 am    

You can always string it up and use a tuner if you don't trust the math. Just put the bar on the octave and mark it with a pencil.
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2020 12:16 am     Yup!

Glenn Wilde wrote:
You can always string it up and use a tuner if you don't trust the math. Just put the bar on the octave and mark it with a pencil.

I'll try both and if they match, my faith in math (which I lost in high school) will be restored.