| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA toggle switch wiring and grounding
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 7:28 am    

Hello,
I’m a new member and I was wondering if anyone has any good diagrams for wiring a 3-way DPDT toggle switch. I bought an MSA classic 12 string second hand and have to redo the wiring because of some messy soldering. I’m looking for switch up to turn on pickup a, middle position to turn on both pickups and down position to be pickup b.
Also when I looked under the guitar, the ground from the pickups was just wired to the ground of the output jack and that was not grounded to anything. Does anyone know how MSA usually grounds their guitars? There is not a very obvious place to ground to.
Thanks!
Nick[/quote][/i][/b]
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 9:06 am    

I don't have an MSA, but I have wired many pickups over the years.

I assume you have a D12 steel, thus needing a pickup selector switch. If so, I think it is called a DPDT.

The hot of each pickup wires to the outside of one side of the switch.

The ground of each pickup wires to the oposite side of the switch (ie, double pole).

Then the center pole of the hot side and the ground side wire to the output.

Here is an Emmons drawing with a tone control. Same principle, just without the tone control.

Emmons used a blade type switch, so it looks different.

Hope this helps.

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 9:23 am    

You need an "ON-ON-ON" switch. I just installed one in my D-10 GFI to replace the original switch which was just an "ON-ON" type (Either the E9th neck or C6th neck but not both).

Here is a DPDT ON-ON-ON wiring diagram for a neck and bridge guitar pickup wiring. Substitute the two steel necks for the bridge and necks in the drawing. What I used to wire my new switch.

Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 9:30 am    

Bill, it is an S12 with two pickups and I’d like to be able to use both at the same time.

Jack, thanks I’ll try that wiring and see if it works. The switch doesn’t need to be grounded at all?

Thanks,
Nick
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 9:39 am    

Just the "Hot" wires from the pickups. Grounds connected to jack should work.

Not all DPDT switches are ON-ON-ON switches, you need one that specifically says ON-ON-ON.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 9:42 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=344066&highlight=

open this thread for some discussion and a pretty good diagram.

Check out Smallbear electronics for really good prices on ON ON ON switches. http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/dpdt-on-on-on-solder-term/
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 10:05 am    

Thanks guys. I wired it up like the diagram and soldered pickup grounds to output jack and I have a terrible ground buzz. The pickups are both working but the grounding issue is worse somehow.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 11:12 am     Got it!

The bad buzz was actually caused by my soldering iron being on. As soon as I turned it off it went away. Now it’s just the low hum of the single coils which is inaudible when playing.
Thanks for the help!
Nick
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 May 2020 11:50 am    

Florescent lamps, neon lights, aquarium heaters, lamp dimmers, cell phones, computers, and monitors can all cause hum problems. Oh Well

Also, make sure your changer is grounded to the jack if your guitar jack is mounted in a wood body.