| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scavenger hunt - work/play station
Bill Liscomb

MA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 5:32 am    

My wife allowed me to bring my steel up from the frigid basement to a window view spot in the living room during the lockdown to save heating costs. Using an old laptop I decided not to sell, I have made a work/play station using whatever I could find in the basement and garage. Started with a free stool from the "Boutique" at the dump (transfer station) I added an enlarged top (boat plywood) to it with a lip to keep steels from rolling off the edge and breaking toes. Also made a magazine rack style mount for the USB interface out of wood I've been saving. I'm mostly an acoustic guitar guy, so my amplifier selection is limited to a Roland Cube that sounds great thru the speaker but remarkably horrible thru the headsets, and the little Vox VT-20x doesn't give the steel enough gain. So, for the first time ever I downloaded the free limited feature DAW software (Ableton) that came with my Focusrite USB audio interface. The preamps in the Focusrite 6i6 are nice and clean, then I use Ableton for the amplifier and reverb plugins and now have decent steel sound in my headsets that I can live with. The old MacBook Pro dumps all audio to the Focusrite USB output so I can play along with BIAB, iTunes, Youtube and random MP3's, etc, all in the comfort of my headphones. I can also record PSG with this rig. Pretty sure the headphones are the reason I haven't been directed back to the basement. Lost one day of practice making it, but practice a lot more in a warm room with a view.

Al Carey

Dublin, NH USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2020 3:04 am    

Very nice and tidy set up!

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2020 3:36 am    

Cool set up Bill. Stay safe 😊
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 5:54 am    

Nice, everything you need, nothing you don't

Grass is greener tho, last summer I was wishing I could go into a nice cool basement, it was so hot upstairs and I couldn't hang onto the bar.

Oh, and I was just reminded to order Carter bones!