| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When did these instrument brands come to market?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 10:22 am    

Don't know if this topic has been covered before or not. If so, a cursory Forum search did not reveal much.

When did the following modern pedal steels begin production on a scale to become available for sale to the public? I inquire chiefly to satisfy my idle curiosity, but there's likely others who share my interest in the historical stuff. There's gotta be guys out there who know the answers, and are willing to share their knowledge.

Carter
Derby
Desert Rose
Emmons LeGrande
Fessenden
Franklin
GFI
Infinity
JCH
Justice
MCI/EMCI
Mullen
Rittenberry
Show Pro
Zumsteel
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 10:38 am    

The one I can tell you about is Zumsteel, as I've read Bruce's book. It was at the St. Louis SGC in 1976 that he first displayed his wares and took some orders.
He'd only built a handful up till then.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 1:09 pm    

I got my first Fessenden in 1992, and I think it was a fairly early one. It had Fessenden Guitar Company in cursive on the front apron but without the steer skull logo.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2020 10:39 pm    

JCH registry: https://web.archive.org/web/20090519203114/http://www.graboff.com/JCH_Registry.html

Emmons: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=148515

There's a lot of interesting stories around these builders, Gene Fields, Bud Carter, Rittenberry and the Nashville LTD's, etc if you search around.
Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 4:16 am     Pedal Steel Companies

Carter  1992 – 2010    
Derby  1990 – 2009    
Desert Rose  2003 – Present    
Emmons LeGrande
Fessenden   – Present    
Franklin  1978 – 2014    
GFI  1989 – Present    
Infinity  2010 – 2015    
JCH  1981 – 2005    
Justice  2008 – Present    
MCI/EMCI  1985 – 1990    
Mullen  1979 – Present    
Rittenberry   – Present    
Show Pro  2008 – Present    
Zumsteel  1976 – 2013

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=280154&highlight=pedal+steel+companies

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 4:42 am     Re: Pedal Steel Companies

Charles Kurck wrote:

MCI/EMCI  1985 – 1990    

While not definitive, my research of MCI indicates they started pedal steel production in '83 or '84 in Waco. I believe the move to Arlington was in late '84. "Arlington" models with a wood front apron date mostly to '85. Welded frame guitars (Gene Fields contribution) began in March/April of '86 and the name change to EMCI was later in '86. The company was sold to Gretsch in '90 and production ceased shortly thereafter.

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 6:39 am    

I know Sierra's not on the list....but in the name of history, I figured I'd add the info in anyway. Check Wright built the first Sierra in 1960. Definitely a few bumps and production stoppages along the way, but we're still cooking' up some mighty fine pedal steels.

I believe that Sierra may be the oldest brand out there producing pedal steels. I can't express how stoked I am to have the opportunity to design and produce the new Sierra's.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 6:47 am     Re: Pedal Steel Companies

Brian Hollands wrote:
Charles Kurck wrote:

MCI/EMCI  1985 – 1990    

While not definitive, my research of MCI indicates they started pedal steel production in '83 or '84 in Waco. I believe the move to Arlington was in late '84. "Arlington" models with a wood front apron date mostly to '85. Welded frame guitars (Gene Fields contribution) began in March/April of '86 and the name change to EMCI was later in '86. The company was sold to Gretsch in '90 and production ceased shortly thereafter.

I was working at Danny's Guitars in Austin in 1985 and remember my old LA pal Red Rhodes coming into the store to tell me he'd moved to Waco to work on MCI steels. He also brought a steel for us to evaluate for the store. What I remember is that the logo was on both the front and REAR aprons (most likely because they used the same silk-screened piece for both front/rear,) and that the build quality was that of an "intermediate" level guitar. We were a small store and couldn't afford to tie up money on new pedal steels so we passed on the proposal.

After the move to Arlington, the MCI developed into the full professional quality guitar it became.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?