| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George (Spibb) Woodard has passed
Joe Fortune

2900 Ontario Dr Springfield, Il 62707
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 11:37 am    

My lifelong friend and teacher Spibb Woodard passed
away on Monday, April 13. He was 91 years old.
What a long and fullfulling life he lived, a veteran,
a professional musician, a business man, well respected and loved. He will be missed by all who were lucky enough to know him. Joe Fortune
Gary Sill

Mt. Zion, IL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2020 11:58 am     I also new Spibb as a great musician

Spibb, I understand was a paratrooper that in and of it's self requires a special person to jump out of an airplane in the dark and fall to whatever consequences that follow. His bravery continued after the military in opening and successfully running a music store in Springfield, IL.

Many musicians in Central Illinois know Spibb and respected his tone and ability in playing the pedal steel.

He set high standards for those to follow.

Sincerely,

Gary Sill
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman Mandol
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2020 1:23 pm    

Spibb's Music (originally located in Riverton, IL), home of "The Nashville Approach to Music," was where I was able to start taking PSG lessons on a Sho-Bud Maverick 3 + 1 which I had purchased in Carbondale, IL during my last semester of college. I had played lap steel as a kid, but pedals and knee levers were all new to me.

Spibb and Joe Fortune (my teacher) helped me progress to a Sho-Bud Pro 1 and then eventually to Emmons D10 PP's (with Spibb adding or adjusting knee levers to help me along).

Spibb was a long time authorized dealer for Emmons pedal steels....listed on the Emmons catalogs.

The Saturday afternoon jam sessions, attended by local area singers trying to learn the 'hits of the day,' were invaluable opportunities to learn.
"Okay, now you take a ride."

Spibb was one of the most obliging men and knowledgeable musicians I've been able to meet and associate with.
He definiteley helped a vast number of musicians - both amateur and Professional - during his career.

Attached is a photo from Dec 2014, when a few St L area steelers got together for lunch during the Garth Brooks World Tour.

Left to Right - Kenny Radas, Joe Fortune, "Spibb" Woodard, Bruce Bouton, Ron Funk, Fred Rushing

>> After that lunch, Spibb graciously reunited Bruce Bouton with Bruce's original Black Emmons D10 PP that had recently come into Spibb's possession.

Even after a decline in health, Spibb maintained his interest in Pedal Steel Guitar activity and was eager to relay great stories of the Nashville DJ Conventions, early Scotty ISGC shows, BE stories, etc.

'Spibb' will be missed enormously, however his musical knowledge and friendship transferred to us lucky others will live on forever.

Ron
John Norris

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2020 2:21 pm    

I met Spibb on several occasions over the years, a good man and an ambassador for steel guitar, he will be missed.
Condolences to his family and friends.