| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! Still asking - Still searching - AMP and Headphones
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 5:14 am    

I got one of these Crate amps a long time ago new for $45.
Works great and sounds surprisingly good.
Line in, Headphones out.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m30848302220/?gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2065351430&utm_content=t0&adgroup=83109536784&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=126358573&product_id=m30848302220&product_id=530539683508&gclid=CjwKCAjwpqv0BRABEiwA-TySwfGjqaFcjpL06DGLRC9Ifp1au3KaX2f1Tl9YgKqwZ3RbaFBXpi9SZxoCnjoQAvD_BwE
Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 9:18 am    

A modern all-in-one that has headphone outputs is the Boss Katana that many are finding suitable for psg tone.

Lock down with this. Lots of possibilities.

If your Peavey has a decent sound out of the phones, then go with that. Try and match the phone jack's impedance to a set of phones as headphones vary widely in impedance and differing responses in volume and accuracy happen because of the different non-standard headphone impedance specs as well as the impedance of the headphone-out on the amp.
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 9:52 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
A Line 6 POD works very well for what you asking about, they have lots of effects and reasonable sounding amp models. You can find them fairly cheap on Reverb or Craigslist https://reverb.com/p/line-6-pod-hd/used. Just keep the NV112 in the corner for use when you need to be heard.

The HD series have a USB connection that gives you a stereo digital audio interface for your computer. Plug the headphones and guitar into the POD, USB to the computer and you can play along with your favorite mp3s, CDs, youtube, whatever sounds your computer can make. No one will hear it but you. There is an ASIO driver so you can also record yourself silently with Audacity, Garage Band, Cakewalk etc.

Sounds great I will take a look at this! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 9:58 am     L6 Pod

Leslie di Leva wrote:
Ian Worley wrote:
A Line 6 POD works very well for what you asking about, they have lots of effects and reasonable sounding amp models. You can find them fairly cheap on Reverb or Craigslist https://reverb.com/p/line-6-pod-hd/used. Just keep the NV112 in the corner for use when you need to be heard.

The HD series have a USB connection that gives you a stereo digital audio interface for your computer. Plug the headphones and guitar into the POD, USB to the computer and you can play along with your favorite mp3s, CDs, youtube, whatever sounds your computer can make. No one will hear it but you. There is an ASIO driver so you can also record yourself silently with Audacity, Garage Band, Cakewalk etc.

Sounds great I will take a look at this! -Les

I'm guessing the CD/MP3 in jack - mini stereo jack to USB into computer - I'm running Avid Pro Tool FREE for now - I have Windows. Thanks again! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 10:00 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
A modern all-in-one that has headphone outputs is the Boss Katana that many are finding suitable for psg tone.

Lock down with this. Lots of possibilities.

If your Peavey has a decent sound out of the phones, then go with that. Try and match the phone jack's impedance to a set of phones as headphones vary widely in impedance and differing responses in volume and accuracy happen because of the different non-standard headphone impedance specs as well as the impedance of the headphone-out on the amp.

Thanks for the info! -Les
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 10:59 am    

Leslie di Leva wrote:
Allan Haley wrote:
I use my Zoom h4n. I also have used my iphone with a Multimedia irig.
Like this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ik-multimedia-ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-smartphones-tablets-ip-irig2-plg-in-ip-irig2-plg-in/10368308

Thanks for the info!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283788753673
I use a mini mixer.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 11:02 am    

I go from the power amp out in back of NV 400 into the mixer and can run iPhone in as well and independently adjust mix of each
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 1:55 pm     Re: L6 Pod

Leslie di Leva wrote:
Sounds great I will take a look at this!

I'm guessing the CD/MP3 in jack - mini stereo jack to USB into computer - I'm running Avid Pro Tool FREE for now - I have Windows. Thanks again! -Les

The USB connection turns the unit into standard two-way (mono) digital audio interface for your computer, essentially an external sound card, just like any of the standard audio interfaces that folks purchase for use with a DAW. When the POD is selected as the active sound device on the computer, all computer sounds are routed through it and into your headphones so no need for any external CD/MP3 players unless that is your preference. Just play them directly from your computer, including anything on youtube, tracks from Pro Tools, etc. Use it to record directly into Pro Tools with the ASIO driver.

If you already have Pro Tools lite you likely got it bundled with an audio interface of some sort, Avid, M-Audio, Scarlet, etc. The POD interfaces with your computer in identical fashion, but it also provides all the amp modeling and effects options for your git. The modeled amp sounds are not great, but they are good, effects are decent and there are tons. There are some Fender Deluxe/TR amp models that work well for PSG. It's not likely something you would use live, but it's perfect for what you're after, a very compact, self-contained solution.
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 3:22 pm    

Ken Metcalf wrote:
I got one of these Crate amps a long time ago new for $45.
Works great and sounds surprisingly good.
Line in, Headphones out.

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m30848302220/?gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2065351430&utm_content=t0&adgroup=83109536784&network=g&device=c&merchant_id=126358573&product_id=m30848302220&product_id=530539683508&gclid=CjwKCAjwpqv0BRABEiwA-TySwfGjqaFcjpL06DGLRC9Ifp1au3KaX2f1Tl9YgKqwZ3RbaFBXpi9SZxoCnjoQAvD_BwE

Very Nice! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2020 3:24 pm    

Patrick Huey wrote:
I go from the power amp out in back of NV 400 into the mixer and can run iPhone in as well and independently adjust mix of each

Great info! Thanks! -Les
Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 10:22 am    

I just use a small, cheap 8 channel mixer to practice with headphones. That way I can mix in backing tracks or whatever. It gives me more control over the guitar volume and backing track volume from a separate source such as my iPad.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2020 7:29 am    

Roland Street Cube

I virtually never buy new gear, but I took a flyer in the Street Cube for $300. Silent practice with headphones and backing tracks, direct recording via the headphone jack, playing PSG with acoustic instruments in practice or small gigs, it works so well for everything that I bought a second one.