| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help! Still asking - Still searching - AMP and Headphones
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:18 am    

What seems to be the best small portable AMP for SPG (i.e. Roland Cube Lite? Roland Micro Cube - other brand?) to use with headphones for practicing?

I have a Nashville 112 and I'm reading not to use it for headphone play.

I'm have the N112 - awating delivery of my Sho-Bud 6140.

My goal is:

A) Decent sound through the AMP to headphones - while silencing the AMP.

B) Not to drive the Wife and Pets crazy!

Thanks! -Les
Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:29 am    

I use my Zoom h4n. I also have used my iphone with a Multimedia irig.
Like this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ik-multimedia-ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-smartphones-tablets-ip-irig2-plg-in-ip-irig2-plg-in/10368308
Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:37 am    

I have been through a handful of amp/ headphone combinations this last year. The one I like the best is a Fender Rumble bass amp. Headphone out and aux in. No reverb but it sounds the best of the things i have tried.
Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:55 am    

I am curious about why you’re not supposed to use the headphone jack on the NV 112. Admittedly electronics always seemed like alchemy to me, but I do wonder why Peavey would put one on their amp if it’s not a good idea to use it.

I used to practice that way a lot and never noticed any problems. I look forward to learning!

All the best
Brian Saulsman
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 9:59 am    

I have not tried these, but they look very promising. Has Aux-In for playing to tracks too. Battery power only. Fits in your pocket.
https://voxamps.com/product/amplug-2/
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 10:33 am    

You're not planning on using this because....why?

Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 10:43 am    

Allan Haley wrote:
Like this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ik-multimedia-ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-smartphones-tablets-ip-irig2-plg-in-ip-irig2-plg-in/10368308

Thanks for the info!
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 11:29 am    

Brian Saulsman wrote:
I am curious about why you’re not supposed to use the headphone jack on the NV 112. Admittedly electronics always seemed like alchemy to me, but I do wonder why Peavey would put one on their amp if it’s not a good idea to use it.

I used to practice that way a lot and never noticed any problems. I look forward to learning!

All the best
Brian Saulsman

Ok - I have read on this site - that the sound quality is poor - so the best thing I can do is try it out first to see - yes - I guess I over reacted - Thanks so much for the post! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 11:30 am    

Jon Light wrote:
You're not planning on using this because....why?

My AMP is from 2004 - so k - I have read on this site - that the sound quality is poor - so the best thing I can do is try it out first to see - yes - I guess I over reacted - Thanks so much for the post! -Les
Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 11:48 am    

When I was learning PSG I used the headphone jack often for the reasons you mentioned (marital contentment etc.j and I would say try it - while it is not perfect, the headphone jack sound quality was the least of my issues.

Enjoy the journey - I always thought the headphone jack was/is a great thing about that amp.

All the best
Brian Saulsman
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 12:33 pm     Nv 112

I use the headphones jack. In my amps all the time. I also use the cd input to plug my iPad into so I can play the tracks and hear my guitar thru my headphones. Works well for me. That’s why they put that feature on the 112’s!

South Hadley, MA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 12:36 pm    

When I need to practice quietly or even in total silence, I don't use an amp at all. I use a cheap audio interface (Behringer U-Phoria UM2), plug into that from my guitar, then that goes out into my computer. Headphones come out of the Behringer unit. It doesn't even need a program on the computer (like Garage Band) to be open.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 12:43 pm    

Leslie di Leva wrote:

My AMP is from 2004 - so k - I have read on this site - that the sound quality is poor - -Les

I am not familiar with this issue (I don't have a Nash 112 so I doubt I would have caught the discussion) but of course you are not making it up.
Well, you will now have the chance to report back and tell us how it worked out for you.
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:21 pm    

Doug Taylor wrote:
I have been through a handful of amp/ headphone combinations this last year. The one I like the best is a Fender Rumble bass amp. Headphone out and aux in. No reverb but it sounds the best of the things i have tried.

Thanks! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:22 pm    

Allan Haley wrote:
Like this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ik-multimedia-ik-multimedia-irig-2-guitar-interface-for-smartphones-tablets-ip-irig2-plg-in-ip-irig2-plg-in/10368308?cmp=knc-s-71700000055264724&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KD0BRBUEiwA7MFNTZfxyZaB5E-lh7UawABH2O-RtzBk00AbJ82Ygwq9nvU882_QyaXBcxoCg_gQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:22 pm    

Brian Saulsman wrote:

All the best
Brian Saulsman

Thanks! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:23 pm    

[quote="Fred Treece"]I have not tried these, but they look very promising. Has Aux-In for playing to tracks too. Battery power only. Fits in your pocket.
https://voxamps.com/product/amplug-2/[/

Thanks! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:25 pm     Re: Nv 112

Dale Foreman wrote:
I use the headphones jack. In my amps all the time. I also use the cd input to plug my iPad into so I can play the tracks and hear my guitar thru my headphones. Works well for me. That’s why they put that feature on the 112’s!

I'm a rookie - Thanks! -Les
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 1:26 pm    

Michael Stephens wrote:
When I need to practice quietly or even in total silence, I don't use an amp at all. I use a cheap audio interface (Behringer U-Phoria UM2), plug into that from my guitar, then that goes out into my computer. Headphones come out of the Behringer unit. It doesn't even need a program on the computer (like Garage Band) to be open.

Thanks! -Les
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2020 3:07 pm    

I'm mostly using headphones ATM for a variety of reasons and wanted the best possible sound and the ability to use stereo effects, I tried a few multieffects units and headphone amplifiers and was not really happy with the headphones sound.
I ended up with a DSL and Humboldt Simplifier not a cheap solution but does all I want.

I have it on a small board with input to the Buffered volume pedal (with tuner jack) to Simplifier input, marshall vibratrem and Mooer ocean machine in the stereo effects loop
There's an earth connection from the power supply board into the tuner to ground the board when it's not connected to an amp.
The simplifier has an aux input for play along and headphone output with level control and output via stereo XLRS or stereo 1/4 jacks.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 12:21 am    

DV Mark Amps. Phones out, speaker defeat , MP3 Input, Ext speaker, Reverb. Very versatile.

These are probably the most 'UNDERRATED' Wattage rated amps on the planet. They are clean as all get go.

50 watt head: 4 pounds

45 Watt Little Jazz 12 Combo amp , + /- 20 pounds, I use this one 2x month for a moderate room show. 100 + people. No, its not a large stage or large room amp. For home practice or small/moderate gigs its a real nice solution .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 7:19 am    

Jeff Highland wrote:
I'm mostly using headphones ATM for a variety of reasons and wanted the best possible sound and the ability to use stereo effects, I tried a few multieffects units and headphone amplifiers and was not really happy with the headphones sound.
I ended up with a DSL and Humboldt Simplifier not a cheap solution but does all I want.

I have it on a small board with input to the Buffered volume pedal (with tuner jack) to Simplifier input, marshall vibratrem and Mooer ocean machine in the stereo effects loop
There's an earth connection from the power supply board into the tuner to ground the board when it's not connected to an amp.
The simplifier has an aux input for play along and headphone output with level control and output via stereo XLRS or stereo 1/4 jacks.

Quite the setup!
Leslie di Leva

CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 7:21 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
DV Mark Amps. Phones out, speaker defeat , MP3 Input, Ext speaker, Reverb. Very versatile.

These are probably the most 'UNDERRATED' Wattage rated amps on the planet. They are clean as all get go.

50 watt head: 4 pounds

45 Watt Little Jazz 12 Combo amp , + /- 20 pounds, I use this one 2x month for a moderate room show. 100 + people. No, its not a large stage or large room amp. For home practice or small/moderate gigs its a real nice solution .

Very Nice!
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 11:54 am    

A Line 6 POD works very well for what you asking about, they have lots of effects and reasonable sounding amp models. You can find them fairly cheap on Reverb or Craigslist https://reverb.com/p/line-6-pod-hd/used. Just keep the NV112 in the corner for use when you need to be heard.

The HD series have a USB connection that gives you a stereo digital audio interface for your computer. Plug the headphones and guitar into the POD, USB to the computer and you can play along with your favorite mp3s, CDs, youtube, whatever sounds your computer can make. No one will hear it but you. There is an ASIO driver so you can also record yourself silently with Audacity, Garage Band, Cakewalk etc.
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2020 12:05 pm     Re: Nv 112

Leslie di Leva wrote:
Dale Foreman wrote:

I'm a rookie - Thanks! -Les

No use to spend money when you already have everything you need!