| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sutton Centurion Lap Steel Guitar
Jeffrey Ross

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 7:15 pm    

I hope Australian members might be able to give me an idea of the value of a Sutton Centurion Lap Steel Guitar which I am thinking of buying. It has been suggested to me that it might be a copy of, but not as good as, an Epiphone Electar Zephyr.
The one I am interested in is in excellent condition in its original case. It is said to have been used Hawaiian Music clubs, perhaps in Sydney, in the 40s or 50s. I have been unable to find any records of recent or not so recent sales.

If the screen shot of multiple guitars presents a copyright issue, please delete it.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 12:59 pm    

Hi Jeffrey, here's how I would value it, if it plays and sounds good. But I'll bet the pots are crackly. Take the price of a similar standard of guitar in the US and add shipping. Then I would subtract for how likely it is to find a buyer, or resale. That being said, I would offer $400AU and see if they bite.

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2020 8:20 pm     Sutton Centurion Lap Steel Guitar

Many thanks David. I’ll let you know how I go. It is owned by a brother-in-law’s partner so I don’t want to cheat her, nor do I want to pay too much.
I sent you 2 PMs on 20 & 21 March, but can’t tell whether they went as my Delivered folder is empty.
By joining the FB group Vintage Guitars Australia, I gained a little non technical info. A member recognised the Pacific String Master 8 as a guitar he had 20 years ago, but “couldn’t get his head around”. It had the aluminium head structure but he hasn’t responded yet when I asked if it had a nut at that time.
I have had terrific assistance from Guy Cundell regarding the Sutton, it is his illustration of the Epiphone Zephyr, also great references to early lap steel players.